1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to keep wild birds away??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Messipaw, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Messipaw

Messipaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2013
    Does anyone have any good advice on how to keep wild birds away from my hens. We have an atrium style pen with a coop inside it. Every morning I wake up there are at least six blue jays feasting on the scratch. Because they are inside the pen the cats can't reach them and the chickens don't chase the out. I'm so nervous because don't the wild birds carry disease, mites and lice?

2. Messipaw

Apr 3, 2013
    [​IMG]

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I've never had parasites or disease from wild birds and I have finch and sparrows in my coop often. That said, I'm not sure I'd want to feed a bunch of free-loading larger birds like that! Basically, you need to make the holes small enough the birds can't fit through them. I use bird netting over my run most of the time, it keeps the chickens in and the larger birds out.

1 person likes this.
  4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    My chickens free range and are constantly exposed to a variety of wild birds. I have never had a problem with lice, mites or diseases. I agree with donrae that you need to make the holes smaller so they can't get in so you're not wasting feed on them. Chicken wire lining your fencing, bird netting or hardware cloth can all be helpful.

1 person likes this.
  5. Messipaw

Apr 3, 2013
    Where do the lice and mites start from then? I read an article that said it was from wild birds. I've never experienced lice or mites-thank the Lord. I'm trying to be proactive And prevent them.

6. MrsBachbach

MrsBachbach Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Arkansas
    Yes, they can get them from wild birds. If your birds free range they can get them. Even keeping them penned they can get mites. I guess the buggers just find the birds. Keep your coop dusted with DE and maybe they won't move in. Also, put some small hole chicken wire over that run to keep out the larger birds. It should keep out the sparrows also. I don't know if chicken wire is small enough for the smaller type birds.

1 person likes this.
  7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I've never had lice or mites in my flock. I don't do anything special, I just give them lots of space and good food. I do dump the wood stove ashes in the run for them to dust bathe in, and they always have good natural dust bathing areas. I think overall management is very important, especially enough space and a mentally healthy flock. Those birds are more naturally resistant to disease and parasites.

1 person likes this.
  8. Deedus

Deedus New Egg

Dec 30, 2013
    I just found my coop is infested with Northern Fowl Mites, and have been dealing with how to get rid of them - but that's another story! In the past few weeks, I've seen little sparrows inside our coop. They go in through the chicken door. We love watching the birds, and I thought this was cute at first. Then I realized: this must be where the mites came from!

I am thinking of hanging strips of mylar from the top of the entrance - has anyone ever tried this? I like the CD idea - I will try that also. Any other ideas would be much appreciated. I just treated all 6 of my birds and I don't want another infestation of mites! (I read also that adding fireplace ash to their dust bath areas, as mentioned in another post, helps deter mites.)

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  9. CAjerseychick

CAjerseychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2012
    Northern California!
    We have a tree in the chicken yard over our coop (there is a netting over the entrance) and the cats sit in the tree and ate enough birds that now none linger in that area they stay away (this has really reduced the feed issue).,,,,

10. Victor92308

Victor92308 New Egg

May 27, 2014
    Have the same problem! Although my hens (4) are inside a 10x10 dog run where their pen is the sparrows are relentless eating most of the food. When I let my dogs out they all fly away and the girls are somewhat comfortable with them approaching the cage. I'm going to juryrig an old fashioned scare crow and see how that does. Will post if it works. Food going fast!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by