How to keep your chicks cool?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickiyo, Aug 24, 2010.

1. chickiyo

chickiyo Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2010
    Its 97 degrees out here in California and I was wondering how to keep my outdoor chicks cool? They are around three months old and are outdoors scratching, I have some ice water out there for them, which they are drinking, and since my yellow chick wasnt drinking very much I sat her in my lap and gave her water through a syringe. She really liked it and kept opening her mouth for more. My smart girl. [​IMG] I also sprayed some mist on them and I have a fan plugged in for em. Anything else I can do?

They are doing this sort of panting thing, beaks open throat going in and out. Is that okay?

We don't have AC so the temp inside is the same one outside, so bringing them in won't make much of a difference. In fact to keep myself from melting into a puddle I am frequently putting my head inside the fridge. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  2. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    I fill 2 liter soda bottles with water and freeze it for them. They sit on the bottles and lay next to them and drink the little drops of condensation that form. They really do help.

3. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
  4. franklinchickens

franklinchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    Try putting a frozen water bottle or ice pack behind the fan if you can - cools the air blowing on them. Mine hate being sprayed/misted so I get my hands wet and wipe them down with cool water. I also save all my watermelon rinds (and other melons) and give them to them during the day. They also like plain cold yogurt. I figure there is liquid in there that will help keep them hydrated. We've had a really hot summer - it just broke today and is in the lower 90's. Feels like fall!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by