1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to kill 3 chicks in 45 min- Confessions of "city folk"

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sixpantsmaloney, May 27, 2008.

1. sixpantsmaloney

sixpantsmaloney Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2008
    Step 1: Read lots and lots. Feel like a competent, educated adult.

Step 2: Get worried about your chicks. The temps are cool and it's an hour from the hatchery to your house.

Step 3: Pick up 4 cute, fluffy chicks.

Step 4: Express concerns to kind staff. They suggest placing box on floor near heater.

Step 5: Place box on floor, near heater. Cover with coat. Block foot well with atlas just to be sure the heat is contained.

Step 6: Drive home. Listen to contented chirping. Notice that during last 5 miles there's no chirping.

Step 7: Don't check on your chicks. Just assume that quiet means contentment, sleeping, etc.

Step 8: Hit a big bump on the road. Again, no chirping. Feel stomach sink.

Step 9: Pull over. Observe dead chicks. Manage to save one later. Watch other die in your hand.

Step 10: Feel like an idiot. Wonder if it's still wise to work daily with other peoples' children.

Step 11: Write confession on internet message board as a form of penance for stupidity.

Conclusion: It seems everything they say about us "city folk" is true. Well-meaning, but REALLY dumb.

2. bangor777

bangor777 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Oh my gosh! I'm so sorry for you!!!!!!!! How awful! Do you think they got too hot? you were so trying to do the right thing! Don't give up, they are such rewarding pets! [​IMG]

3. pattee

pattee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Oh I am so so sorry~
    I think you'll be a good mom to chicks... I hope you can get a few more.
    What a [​IMG] terrible experience.

4. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

So sorry.... yikes, that's a hard lesson to learn. It's really not about where you come from, but more about experience. Don't give up - give it another try.

5. Sonia

Sonia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    SE Oklahoma
    Oh dear! I'm so sorry to hear about your chicks! But don't be too hard on yourself....we have all made mistakes at one point or another. Your lone baby needs you and needs some friends too!Don't give up on them (or yourself).

6. KellyGwen

KellyGwen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    Lake Luzerne, NY
    Aww... I'm sorry that happened! I am new to chickens too and just had three of my babies die... Don't give up! You learn from your mistakes... and I know that if you took the time to post this (and for that matter join this site!) that you will be a great chicken owner [​IMG]

Don't give up!! [​IMG]

7. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    ooh..i'm sorry to hear of your loss....dont be to hard on yourself..unfortunatly, stuff like that has happend to us all..just in differant ways...again...sorry for your loss...;o(..wendy

8. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Sorry that happened I am a country boy living in the suburbs allot of people here are dumb. [​IMG]

9. Egg Lady

Egg Lady Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Don't feel bad. I am new at this too, bought my first 25 chicks a few weeks ago, and my dog ate 24 of them before I knew it. I have the survivor "Annie" and now have 15 new babies again. The dog is penned up when the chicks are out of their cage. Live and learn, I guess.

10. Oceanseve

Oceanseve Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Guthrie, OK
    As the guy I bought two of my chicks from said - "There will be many expensive lessons" He was talking about a white peacock he bought hoping to breed, just for it to turn around and choke on a mouse in the run [​IMG] what can you do, but try again, don't give up.

Haha - speaking of dogs, I had a new to me dane eat a $100 cockatiel once... hadn'thad it more than a week. Yet here I am again getting bird brained.

Last edited: May 27, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by