How to kill a raccoon--- GOT HIM PICS pg 4

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by SundownWaterfowl, Jul 31, 2011.

1. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I've had this raccoon comming around for months. The thing is huge and won't fit into the traps. Probably about 50 pounds. Now it's comming early in the morning when it gets light and the birds come out of their coops. Killed 2 birds this morning, pulled them through the wire.

What about conibear traps? I have 2 cats, they will be put inside, but im worried about catching a stray cat. Is there any way I can put the trap in a metal feed can or something and have the racoon still get killed in the trap? I don't really care for these traps but i'll try anything to kill this thing.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  2. Shawnee_b

Shawnee_b Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2011
    So Central Kentucky
    Barrel trap. There is a description of one in my topic "wiley bandit"

3. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

Put up better wire, like .5" x .5" galv hardware cloth/wire and then it won't be able to do any reaching thru. You could also get an electric wire or fence that would shock the hell out of it.

4. Shawnee_b

Shawnee_b Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2011
    So Central Kentucky
    Quote:Doesn't help cats, small dogs, garbage cans, gardens.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  5. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Number 2 trap. I have caught hundreds of coons using this trap. I always tied them off to a tree using small chain like the chain on a swing set. Baited them with sardines. You need to have the trap seasoned so it has a neutral smell. There deadly you can hurt yourself while setting. They can & will catch dogs cats you name it. I've caught bobcats, foxes, dogs opossum, birds, you name it. pelts back in the day went for big money & I sold the meat as well. others will tell you to set with all kinds of other stuff. Take my advice use sardines they work the best for trapping coons. You have to make a good set by hiding the trap. Bury it down a ways sprinkle hay or grass clippings to conceal the trap. Also, wear gloves don't smoke chew tobacco while making a set. I usually put a branch called a stepping stone before the trap so the coon would have to step over & land his foot on the trigger. About a one inch branch a foot long will work. I have caught some big mothers using this trap. Make sure to check trap early a coon will chew his leg off. I have caught some three legged coons. I have caught a few toes, feet you get the message. Good trapping coming your way. I always carried a 22 pistol when running my traps. One shot to the head did the trick.

6. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    a conibear box makes a conibear a lot safer trap

[​IMG]

a leaning pole set will make it somewhat safer

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  7. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
  8. little blue

little blue Chillin' with my Orps

Jul 11, 2010
    Mansfield, CT
    they sell the bigger live traps they use for coyotes

9. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I tried the barrel trap and didn;t get anything. I don't even think that he came last night. We'll probably sit out late tonight. I usually get him on the game came around 3 or 4. So we'll go out a 2 and try to get him.

10. Kamokid95

Kamokid95 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2011
    take a 2x4 and drill a 1 1/2 inch - 2 inch hole in it, put 5 nails at an angle so that they can be seen in the hole and make them cometogether to about an inch, then dig a small hole the same sice as the one in the 2x4, about 5 to 6 inches deep, and put some hotdogs in the hole. put the 2x4 over the hole in the ground and put some weights on the ends of the 2x4. the coon will reach down in there, grab the hotdog and wont let go. and when he makes his hand into a fist he wont be able to pull his hand out because the nails.he will be there in the mornign and he will be angry. but thats when the ole hickory stick comes in. one swift hard wack to the head should do the trick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by