How to kill a rooster for eating purposes?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Moochie, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Moochie

Moochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    I don't know how to, someone please tell me.
    I can't handle the demon bird during the day so at night would be best (with thick gloves and layered clothing). If my parents don't get rid of him I will because I am sick of him and his sparring at my leg. I have 4 other roosters who never hurt me. Also once Charlie goes I'm pretty sure I'll get a belgian d'uccle pullet [​IMG]

2. jasonm11

jasonm11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    tioga tx
    Quote:Put a broomstick over his head and step down firmly. Pull on his legs till you feel him go limp. Now get to work processing him. If you can hill him you should be able to process him as well. If you kill him you eat him. [​IMG]

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    In the words of the Queen of Hearts...."Off with his head"!

4. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    Lots of ways! You can hang him upside down and cut his throat or cut his head off, make a chopping block and cut his head off with a hatchet, do the broomstick method. There should be a sticky on the top of this section with great post by frugal on how to process [​IMG]

Turn him to chicken dumpling soup - he'll be yummy!

5. Liamm_1

Liamm_1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Put a broomstick over his head and step down firmly. Pull on his legs till you feel him go limp. Now get to work processing him. If you can hill him you should be able to process him as well. If you kill him you eat him. [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Liamm_1

Liamm_1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:go to youtube and search: processing chicken

7. Moochie

Moochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    There are humane painless ways right?

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:Take some good tree pruning loppers, hang the bird carefully and gently so that he is calm, and quickly remove the head. [​IMG] There's no missing, no slow death from bleeding or gas, . . . It is easy, quick, and painless.

9. Montana-Hens

Montana-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    Buxton, Montana
    I studied lots of things on Youtube. Some were pretty crass and did not watch them completely, but we had never done it before and were able to do so and eat that nasty boy when we were done. B?C we just did one we skinned it.

I have faith in you....

10. Barred Rocks forever

Barred Rocks forever Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    maryland
    makesure there not dull to that would get messy lol
    Quote:Take some good tree pruning loppers, hang the bird carefully and gently so that he is calm, and quickly remove the head. [​IMG] There's no missing, no slow death from bleeding or gas, . . . It is easy, quick, and painless.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by