how to know about mites?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by lowry075, Jul 11, 2011.

1. lowry075

lowry075 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Southern California
    Okay, so I have read several posts about chickens having mites...and that hay aggravates the issue, which stinks because I just bought a trash bag full of hay for my run. [​IMG] Anyway, I don't know if this is a stupid question, but how does one know if one's birds have mites? How large are they in comparison to other insects? For those who use sand, do you just buy bags at Depot?

2. Crabby Chicken

Crabby Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2011
    i was wondering the same thing...i just went from pine shavings to hay....which is better?

3. pjknust

pjknust Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Texas
    I use pine shavings with the baby chicks in the house. I use Coastal Bermuda Hay in my chicken house. I dont have a run coz they are always in my backyard during the day.

4. Meghalu

Meghalu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    The Okanagan
    Not sure about the hay thing, but I do know how to tell if they have mites (mine do [​IMG] ). Inspect the birds vent area, around their eyes and face, under the wings. The mites are teeny tiny. The ones on my birds are peach coloured, but different types of mites may be different coloured. You have to look really closely, you will be able to see them crawling around. I just stare at the area and wait to see if movement catches my eye, they are so very small and similar in colour to the chickens skin that if you quickly glanced you would likely miss them.
    If your birds start to lose weight, get lethargic, their combs and wattles get pale, and they are generally looking poorly, check for lice/mites. And if one has them, they all do.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:I've always used hay as bedding and in nests. I change out the soiled hay once a week and sprinkle a little sevin dust on it, never have had a mite issue. To check for mites, pick up a chicken and visually inspect it, if you see what looks like 'pepper,' that's mites. They also crawl real slow, whereas lice crawl fast. I have a large run and have hauled in a total of 5 cubic yards of sand to help keep it dry. It also helps keep the fly population down. My truck hauls 1.5 cubic yards of sand at $25 per cubic yard. I get it from a landscaping business. Here's a link from the experts regarding lice/mites:
    http://ohioline.osu.edu/vme-fact/0018.html

6. lowry075

lowry075 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Southern California
    :)Thanks eveyone, for the repiles. It helps alot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by