1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

** How to know if chicks are male or female!!! **

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Shauna's Silkies, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Shauna's Silkies

Shauna's Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Ireland :D
    Hi all, How do u know if chicks are male or female!!!
    Please Help
    Thanks Shauna

2. kevs-chickadees

kevs-chickadees Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Mesa AZ
    That's a ? that comes with a lot of different answers. If they are from a hatchery most are bread to have long and short wing feathers to determine the sex. Some breeds are sex linked meaning the males are born one color and the females another. I believe as they begin to get their feathers the females will feather out quicker, I'm no expert and I'm sure someone else can give more info.

3. Shauna's Silkies

Jun 29, 2011
    Thanks hopefully!! haha

4. Shauna's Silkies

Jun 29, 2011
    Can Anyone help me Please!!! [​IMG]

5. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    Well, for a lot of breeds (especially silkies) you cannot know for sure until it crows or lays an egg. Baby chicks can only be sexed if the are sex-linked birds. Usually, a rooster will start developing larger, redder comb and waddles by about 5 weeks.

6. Shauna's Silkies

Jun 29, 2011
    Thanks so ill just wait and see!!!
    hopefully they are all hens!!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. MuckyPuppy

MuckyPuppy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    UK
    There are several different ways that people try and tell the sex of chicks ......... There is one where the chick is picked up by the skin at the back of the neck near the head. I think if the chick leaves it's legs down it's a female but if it draws them toward it's chest it's a male. Somewhere on here there is post on this with pics. I would be too nervous to do it as I am accident prone. Found it https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=543083 ......... There is the one that says that female chicks will usually get their wing and tail feathers before males do. Some say in the first week or so (they don't explain what the or so part means) and others say by the time the chick is 2 weeks old. http://successwithpoultry.blogspot.com/2007/04/how-to-tell-sex-of-chicks.html https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=295721 ......... I know I had another one bookmarked but I can't seem to find it right now.

Hope it helps.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  8. Kitty Cat

Kitty Cat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    Campos De La Gracia
    There are a few ways to know what sex a chick is.

1st- chick sexing/ which is achieved by basically squeezing the poo out of the chick and looking at the cloaca. (not sure which part their looking at i think its cloaca could be wrong) This method must be done very quickly since the chicks are at risk of infection from their inners being pushed outwards and exposed.

2nd- older sexing/ pay close attention to the behavior of your chicks and watch carefully for any subtle differences in physical growth, (such as thicker legs, darker comb, more pronounced comb, early wattle growth- all indicates possible rooster) I opt for this method since I would feel like I'm squeezing the poor chick to death. And so far I've only been wrong once.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by