How To Know if Egg is Fresh

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by luckitri, Aug 9, 2008.

1. luckitri

luckitri Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2008
    enough to eat.

I was aging mine so they would peel if I hard boiled them but decided to make a cooked dish. One was obviously bad and the others had really runny whites so I think I had better throw them out.

I did not float them in cold water prior to opening.

I have been trying to search forum but am not finding.

Please direct me.

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

You can candle the eggs if you have a strong flash light. The larger the air sac, the older the eggs.

I would let the eggs sit about 1-2 weeks, unwashed, before making hard boiled eggs.

3. MarylandChick

MarylandChick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2007
    A.A. County MD
    My chicken magazine said that the younger the eggs the less time you should cook them for. It said that onc ethe water simmers you should remove it form heat and then when taking them form teh hot water shuffel them around a bit so they crack. That was water seeps inbetween the egg and shell when you put them in the cold water. I them said to peel them once they are cool to the touch and store them in an airtight container.

Cooking super fresh eggs at too hot a temp, for too long or not letting them crac and get water inside makes them impossable to easily peel.

4. tvtaber

tvtaber Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Central CA
    If you put them in water and they float, they are bad. If they sink, they are good. If they stand up on end they are going and should either be thrown out, fed to the dog, or eaten right away.

5. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    Has anyone heard of spinning an egg to see if it is fresh? If it does not spin, it's fresh, if it spins it's not so fresh?

[​IMG]
    peace

6. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:[​IMG] Yeah and if you spin it and it falls on the floor you have either a fresh egg to clean or a really smelly one!

My guess is the smelly one will more than likely land on the floor.

7. Rainman

Rainman Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2008
    Woodinville WA.
    Quote:Spinning is how you tell an uncooked egg from hard boiled. An uncooked egg won't spin

8. 2boxers

2boxers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2008
    Halifax Co Virginia
    Quote:[​IMG] Yeah and if you spin it and it falls on the floor you have either a fresh egg to clean or a really smelly one!

My guess is the smelly one will more than likely land on the floor.

Murphy's Law dictates that if all but one egg is bad, the one you spin and drop will be the one good one.

Happy spinning.

9. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    I know you can check a hard-boiled egg by spinning...

but while I was in China I was taught to spin for fresh eggs too -

if it does not spin around, it's fresh, if it spins it is not fresh.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by