How to know when to cull?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by MakNat, Jan 15, 2009.

1. MakNat

MakNat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
    I,ve got 30 or so very healthy birds, all doing great even in the cold. I do not like to treat, but to prevent, naturally.. One of my leghorn hens has been acting 'blah' lately. Shes been inside for a few days now. She eats and poops, but thats about it, just seems like she feels like crap. I give her ACV, DE, garlic, olive oil, oats, honey, ect. All the natural good stuff. She has no symptoms of any illness. What gives?? Should I keep doing what I'm doing or do you think it would be better to cull???

2. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    Unless she is suffering, I wouldn't cull. Perhaps she's feeling blah because she isolated and eatting boring food. I'd give her something fun like a cricket. If she doesn't enjoy that, then I'd be concerned.

3. MakNat

MakNat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
    I'm pretty sure it is not a 'boredom' thing. She was acting the same in the coop. Isolating herself acting droopy. That is why I brought her in. Shes eating fine. Just doesn't seem like a very healthy happy chicken??? No real stand out-ish symptoms though..

4. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    I know you like to treat "naturally" but when it comes down to it is it better to use antibiotics and live or cull.... If she's just acting lethargic I don't know if I'd use antibiotics yet but if she doesn't get better soon that would be my next step. For now I'd try some extra vitamins. I don't know enough about supplementing chickens yet but there are plenty of threads on vitamins to put in the water or what human capsules to use if you go search. Otherwise I'm sure someone else will be along that knows.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by