How to know which of my hen layed an egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by vishnu kokareko, Mar 26, 2012.

1. vishnu kokareko

vishnu kokareko Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2012
    INDIA , KERALA
    i found an egg in my roost i dont know which of my hens l[​IMG]ayed them

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    That can be really difficult to determine.

Is she the only one laying? A hen that is laying has a soft, moist vent. If a hen is not laying, the vent is dry and hard. You might be able to tell by looking at the vent.

Is this a regular event or has it only happened once? Has she just started to lay or have your hens been laying for a while? A little more information might help with an answer.

3. vishnu kokareko

Mar 24, 2012
    INDIA , KERALA
    no this is the first time they layed one

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    My suggestion would be to look at their vents. You might be able to tell that way. Just look for the moist soft one. If you have trouble with that, you can get ready for others to start laying real soon.

Anything else is kind of hard to do. I've heard of people putting food coloring in the vent and the eggs having some of that on them when they are laid, but I've never tried it myself. I've also heard of putting different colors of lipstick on the vents, but I'm not going to try to explain that one to my wife!

It's not at all unusual for a pullet to lay her first egg from the roost or just somewhere on the ground or floor. It sometimes takes them a bit to learn how to control their system and for her to get the kinks worked out of her internal egg laying factory. She should start laying in a nest instead of from the roost real soon.

And congratulation on your first egg.

5. vishnu kokareko

Mar 24, 2012
    INDIA , KERALA
    thks

6. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

congratulations!!

If you happen to have different breeds of chickens, the egg color may give you a hint of which one of your chickens produced the egg. If you have all one breed.....then I guess, unless you see her lay--- Ridgerunner has the only answer. ;O)

1 person likes this.
  7. jomoncon

jomoncon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    I've had my 8 RIRs for about a year & a half. They look so much alike, I've never been able to tell which hen laid which egg.

8. vishnu kokareko

Mar 24, 2012
    INDIA , KERALA
    they are one breed thks for trying

9. vishnu kokareko

Mar 24, 2012
    INDIA , KERALA
    [​IMG]g

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by