1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to know your hatch will sell?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Compton Farm, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Compton Farm

Compton Farm Just Hatched

Jan 31, 2017
    Jeanerette Louisiana
    So I have plenty of fertile eggs. I want to incubate more than the 12 I have hatching Feb 8th, but I am very worried that I will be stuck with all the babies. Is there a way to take pre-orders for chicks?

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Sure you could do that.
    Might depend on where you live, what the market is like for chickens in your area, and how good of a marketer/seller you are.

I'd get the money up front tho, before you set the eggs.
    ....and/or still have plenty of space ready to grow out all the chicks, a plan for all the males that nobody will want if you can't sell straight run chicks, might take all summer to sell the remaining females.

Oh, and, Welcome to BYC!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  3. Compton Farm

Jan 31, 2017
    Jeanerette Louisiana
    Well they are pure ameracana eggs. So around here, they are pretty rare. So I would think they would have a pretty high demand for them.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Yes, pure Ameraucana are pretty rare.
    Do you own the parents and can you post pics of them??

5. Compton Farm

Jan 31, 2017
    Jeanerette Louisiana
    Yes I have the daddy and all the mommas! Lol [​IMG]

6. Compton Farm

Jan 31, 2017
    Jeanerette Louisiana
    [​IMG]

7. Compton Farm

Jan 31, 2017
    Jeanerette Louisiana
    [​IMG]

8. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Sorry to say those are Easter Eggers and not true Ameraucana. It is likely the pullets will lay colored eggs though.

9. Compton Farm

Jan 31, 2017
    Jeanerette Louisiana
    What makes you say that they are not ameracanas?

10. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    If you don't have space for extra chicks that may take a while to get sold, I would definitely recommend taking pre-orders. It is helpful to get names of potential buyers and contact information for them at least, before making the decision to hatch. You can create a "waiting list" of interested people. That's what I do when I hatch eggs.

I think you won't have much difficulty selling chicks in most areas of the country at this point, since late winter/spring is a common time to get chicks. However, your birds are not purebred Ameraucanas, but instead are the more common Easter Egger. Their chicks may not be quite as valuable but should still make great colorful egg layers for the typical new backyard flock owner.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by