How to let out my ducks with my geese?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by mominoz, May 24, 2010.

1. mominoz

mominoz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    North Georgia
    The ducks (Runners) and geese (tufted buffs) have night and day runs next to each other and were raised adjacent to each other , but in separate pens.(once one flew over and everyone seemed ok). I let the geese out their own gate to graze our fenced back yard and want to let the ducks out too. I'd just like to do it safely. Should I just let them out and stay nearby? Assuming that the geese will not bother with them too much and being Runners , they will stay clear of the geese anyway? Should I try just to let them out for a hour or two in evening first? Or maybe try alternate days? Then there is the fact that one goose is setting in the night aviary and I leave the goose gate open, so she can get some grass or the others come in if they want too.Not sure if the others will be grumpier because she is setting .One day she yelled when I came over the side with a board and they came running.....!whheeeww.... Everyones a year old...

2. SDChef

SDChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2010
    I must say I think you are over thinking the problem. if they live next to each other they should be fine since they know who each other are. Just let them out one day and see what happens. Chances are that they will be fine and the runners will stay clear of your geese.

Last edited: May 24, 2010
  3. SDChef

SDChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2010
    BTW I would love to see pictures! And good luck with play time! [​IMG]

4. mominoz

mominoz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    North Georgia
    :cool:hhhmmm-- Overthinking-- I do have that disease......Maybe a just need some Marguaritaville! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by