How to look after Duck and their Ducklings. "Muscovy"

scooter1989

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 10, 2013
Hey Every One! I have a Muscovy Hen who had just hatched out 15 Ducklings. I have 2 more hens that are going to be hatching out a lot more ducklings this week. They are so cute and awesome to watch. But I need good info on how to watch over them.

1. How to you keep the ducklings and their mother safe at night after they leave their nest box?

2. What kind of feeder and waterer would do best for ducklings?

3. What help leave predictors away at night from the aviary?

4. When should I start re-homing the ducklings?

5. Should I even let the mother ducks raise them or should I put them in a brooder?

Here another video of them today. I brought them all inside and mom to get out of the storm.

They are beautiful Congrats!! what are you keeping your mamas and her ducklings in outside? they need to be in a very predator safe place. All locked up tight at night. Most of us have a duck house that we keep put ducks in because most predators love ducklings/ducks. You can use rubber bowl feeders or trough feeders for feed, something they can't turn over easily. for water that can be tricky because even when young they need to be able to wash out their nares and eyes so making a waterer out of a cool whip container or butter container and cutting a hole in the top so that the ducklings can stick their heads inside but not climb into can be done pretty easily. Mamas are the best for rearing their ducklings just make sure when she has a large brood like yours does that all ducklings are able to keep up and stay with the group. That she is able to keep them all warm if it's still cool where you are. and that they are all safe. Here is a pic of a waterer that will work for ducklings I use one similar I even use one like this for mom just make her hole larger and place it up on something to keep the ducklings from climbing inside.
LL

100_1190.jpg

another idea. just keeping the tinies out will be the problem so you will have to enlarge holes as they grow.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom