How to lower a temp on a hovabator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by happyhens44, Jan 17, 2011.

1. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    i have a hovabator 1602, with waffer, egg turners, fan kit, I jut got it up and working ( Got it in the mail today), it wanted to keep a temp at 105.8 and I was wondering how do I lower it?

2. Charm1704

Charm1704 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2010
    Elgin, Tx
    Did you get instructions with it? you need to read those, the room you put it in makes all the difference too. the little adjusting screw on the top is how you adjust the temp .I do it a 1/4 of a turn at a time...you do need it in a room with pretty much a constant temperture. [​IMG]

3. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    Oh ok [​IMG] yep it had to do to the garage so ill see, keep checkin the temp and working with it.

4. GreenGoddess

GreenGoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    St Pauls, NC
    Let me tell you... Those wafer thermostats are NOT idiot proof!! I know how to splice wires, fix broken cords, and know that you can't hook up a hot wire to a ground connection... BUT, it took me 2 hours to figure out that stupid thermostat!!!! First off, the directions say to screw the adusting screw until it stops and then screw it tight until the button clicks... Well, I almost broke the dang thing because no matter how tight I made it, it NEVER clicked!!! I even used a pair of pliars thinking I just wasn't strong enough.... Ok... So, I gave up on that and just got it as tight as I could... THEN, it says to turn the screw to adjust the temp and then retighten the wingnut... For some reason, I could not get it to do what i wanted to.. Maybe I was just being dyslexic or something but it kept turning off when I wanted to heat it more and turning on when I wanted to cool it.. it was completely backwards... After 2 hours of messing with it, I FINALLY figured it out and now it's perfectly set at 100!

My point being, if you've never seen a wafer thermostat, don't feel like an idiot if it takes you a little while to get it right! [​IMG]

eta: Oh, and the best thing to do is tighten the adjusting screw as tight as you can get it and then when you want to adjust the temp, HOLD the wingnut and turn the adjuster screw the way of the arrows... I believe it's clockwise to decrease and counter clockwise to increase...

Goddess [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by