how to make a breed ( red shouldered leghorn )

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Jacob Temple, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Jacob Temple

Jacob Temple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    I have been raising chickens for years and this spring i had hatch out a bunch of chicks that looked the same but all died but one roo how do u keep the color and or breed for it he is a wheaten game leghorn cross but looks like a red shouldered yokohama some what here is a pic of him . P.S how do you breed him well to put it shortly how do i breed to keep a breed like this to make a new color
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    red pyle leghorn

3. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    not quite.. the bird he is showing is based on Bichen(the ER allele not the silver birchen look) and has dominant white(see flywings) and is showing Red leakage(he is golden S/s+, enhanced by Mahogany), the white leghorns are based on Birchen(ER) and are sex linked silver combined with dominant white, this makes for an all white bird, if you want more birds like him, just cross him back to wheaten game, if you want more game birds like him, or breed him to a colored leghorn if you want more leghorns like him

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    You'll get a very similar color with your basic red sex link rooster.

5. Jacob Temple

Apr 13, 2012
    ok sorry i didnt understand all of that but how would u go by the lines of making a red shouldered leghorn or along those lines and make is a color like hatcherys sell. i have always wanted to come up with a color not yet reconized

6. nicalandia

Jul 16, 2009
    Me too... but Red Pyle is a reconized one, how about an autosexing Ameraucana?

7. nicalandia

Jul 16, 2009
    yes very similar
    [​IMG]

8. Jacob Temple

Apr 13, 2012
    americana ? but how would u do that he doesnt have any in him and if i breed it in to him how would just get his color

9. nicalandia

Jul 16, 2009
    I was just thinking outloud, going back to your bird, if you want more like him, just cross him with a black breasted red hen...

10. Jacob Temple

Apr 13, 2012
    ok but how do u know all of this about genetics about it is there somthing i could read or what ever to understand it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by