1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to make a dogs breath not smell

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Chicken Charlotte, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Chicken Charlotte

Chicken Charlotte Out of the Brooder

Jun 7, 2010
    QLD
    How do you? The poor things breath smells like CRAP! And everyone does not want to go near her because of that [​IMG] Poor Molly, any ideas?

2. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Maybe she needs her teeth cleaned? WHat is her diet like? Could that be the cause of it? Only thing that has solved it for me was either having her teeth cleaned at the vet's or brushing her teeth.

3. Chicken Charlotte

Jun 7, 2010
    QLD
    Quote:She eats chicken necks for dinner, dry food any time she wants water and some times milk if it is left over from breakfast OR tin food (rarely) What do I use to brush her teeth though?

4. piecemaker

piecemaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Centerville Texas
    My little 2 and a half pound yorkie had breath so BAD. Finally ask the vet why and she checked her teeth. All but 5 were lose and infected. Sophi is only 4 years old. The vet pulled them and now little Sophi weight 4.8 lbs. She could hardly eat her teeth were so bad, now she has healthy good smellin' teeth

5. Chicken Charlotte

Jun 7, 2010
    QLD
    Quote:That is great! Maby we should get the vet to look at them [​IMG]

6. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    start with her teeth, though if she's eating chicken necks (how big is the dog, chicken necks are swallowed whole here), that should help the teeth.
    I have a greyhound who has always had bad/nasty/knock you out breath, but it is coming from her gut.

7. watchdogps

watchdogps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    Get rid of the kibble. That stuff is awful. Go all raw, and something bigger. Necks arent quite large enough to do good teeth cleaning. Try backs. If nothing else, pick up the dry and go to mealtimes. Having food in her teeth constantly is allowing bacteria to breed in there all the time.

8. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Roxy, our Miniature PInschers breath stinks. But our Golden Retriever doesn't stick at all. Raw bones might help. Like raw beef bones to chew on, clean the teeth. This stuff works also http://www.google.com/products/cata...X&ei=is1HTuDwBorWgQfMgNGzBg&ved=0CIsBEPICMAQ# But you have to use it regularly. I also brush the Goldens teeth. I use a human toothbrush with some chicken flavored dog toothpaste. She lets me really get in there and scrub them down, where the Min Pin won't let anything go near her mouth, except my finger when I put that petzlife gel on.

9. Redyre Rotties

Redyre Rotties Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    North Carolina, USA
    Offensive mouth odor is not normal for a dog. The cause can be gum disease, and it can also be other things. First thing on the order would be a vet check, and blood work. If the mouth needs to be cleaned, I would go ahead and have that done and then continue the raw healthy diet for her. Most mouth odor is dogs is caused by gum disease, however, it can also be caused by certain lung, stomach, kidney or blood disorders.

10. watchdogps

watchdogps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    Quote:Redyre is very right, I was remiss in not suggesting that. Do have a vet look, as there could be something underlying or as others mentioned, bad teeth. You may have to yank teeth or have a good cleaning done to get back on track, and hopefully it isnt a health problem. Once you know she is healthy, toss the dry food and go all raw! Oh, and you vet will probably tell her you'll kill her with raw.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by