How to make a duck and a cat be friends???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by taylohol11, Jan 28, 2013.

1. taylohol11

taylohol11 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2012
    we have two cats and a duck that's just turned white, so he's still quite young. Is there anyway to just try and make them be friends???

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    What kind of problems are they having?

3. taylohol11

taylohol11 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2012
    We haven't really put them together yet i was just wondering if we should try or if it's just not possible

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Depends on alot of things you could try letting them meet by putting them together in the same room just casually and see what happens under supervision of course.

5. Nebraskagirl

Nebraskagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2012
    We have two barn cats who were introduced to our last summer. Both cats are adults but they are LAID BACK cats. The ducks rule over the cats. They go out of their way to chase them. The cats could care less about them really. I would supervise the visits for quite a while to see if you can trust them or not.

6. Kleonaptra

Kleonaptra Chillin' With My Peeps

We have 4 cats, 4 girl ducks 1 drake and 2 chickens. As with Nebraskagirl our birds RULE over the cats! If the cats ever get too close the ducks start hissing and chasing them. The ring leader is our Australorp Shiela, who encourages the whole flock to go after them. The cats are regularly beaten up by Shiela (actually everyone is, even me)

One little ducky alone, and only just becoming an adult? Full supervision. In time, the duck will get big enough that the cat realizes its not easy prey.

7. duckins

duckins Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2012
    Gladys, Va
    We have one cat who gets chased away and harassed constantly by our ducks if it wasn't for the fact the our cat wants so bad to be their friend he would probably stay out of sight. Try supervised visits at first then let it come natural they might not be close but should learn to coexist.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by