How to make a dust bath?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by newchickmom, Aug 7, 2009.

1. newchickmom

newchickmom Songster

Nov 8, 2007
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I got a little wading pool for my hens, so I can make them a place to dust bathe in their run in the summer, and in their hen house in the winter.

What would you recommend filling it with? [​IMG] I will also sprinkle some DE in it for them.

2. FalcoSparverius

FalcoSparverius Wants a Custom Title

Jul 18, 2009
    Our chickens made their own dustbath with regular dirt.

[​IMG] Ask not why the chicken crossed the road, but why the road got in the way of the chicken. [​IMG]

3. the lemon tree

the lemon tree Songster

May 12, 2009
    I filled a tub with play sand I got at Home Depot with some DE mixed in.

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Okay...hate to share my ignorance...but what is DE??? I've seen it all over this site...thanks! [​IMG]

5. the lemon tree

the lemon tree Songster

May 12, 2009
    Quote:Diatomaceous Earth. It's essentially ground up fossils of hard-shelled algae (diatoms). People here usually use it (only the food-grade DE!!!) to kill bugs as it dries up their exoskeleton and add to feed since it's a great dewormer for your chickens, dogs, cats, husband, etc. It has a ton of good uses and benefits. If you Google it or just search for DE on this forum, you'll get lots of info.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2009
  6. newchickmom

newchickmom Songster

Nov 8, 2007
    Lafayette, Indiana
    My reasoning for this is, hopefully, [​IMG] they will not dig so many holes in their run (and anywhere else they feel like).

7. BBK

BBK Songster

Apr 14, 2009
    upstate NY
    I just put a pile of peat moss in the middle of their run, they kick it around and then they all and I mean all 12 of'em try to sit in the middle of it...it's quite funny to watch!
    But, they love it.... [​IMG]
    melinda

8. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Songster

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I used peat moss too - because I had it on hand.

My yard isn't fenced yet and my girls get limited free-range time.
    So I put an old wooden fruit crate in the coop and filled it about halfway with the peat moss.

It doesn't make a big mess and they love scrabbling around in it - they get into some funny-looking positions that scared Newbie-me at first, but now I just watch them spaz around in the crate.

From reading on here, I plan to make them a sandbox when I can leave them in a fenced-in yard all day.

9. chickenannie

chickenannie Songster

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I use half sand, and half fine dirt (or, just regular dirt). Then add some DE. That should do it.

10. SPRING CREEK FARM

SPRING CREEK FARM Songster

Jun 11, 2009
    Vanleer,TN
    [​IMG] I mix in a bit of sawdust with dirt for their dustbath and they all seem to like it![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: