1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to make a heat lamp stand?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ok1242, Feb 28, 2008.

1. ok1242

ok1242 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2008
    Okie living in CA
    I have a large box that I plan to use as a brooder for about 30 newly hatched chicks. I have a heat lamp, red, 250 watt, with a hanger. How can I make a stand to suspend the lamp over the box?

2. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I use an old metal saddle rack. It straddles the brooder and I hang the light from the part the saddle sits on. I suppose a saw horse would work just as well.

3. JaciesCoop

JaciesCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2007
    Arizona
    I use an old camera tripod. That way I can move it up and down to regulate the heat.

Brooder is empty right now. Babies are due March 28th.

Jacie

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I change the temp with my saddle rack/saw horse method by putting old encyclopedias under the legs to raise it.

5. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    I hung a piece of rope from a hook on the ceiling and clamped the lamp to the rope.

6. willheveland

willheveland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    I use a chain with an 'S' hook and hang it from the ceiling like some of the other posts.As you need a lower temp you just go up a few links at a time.For you that sawhorse idea sounds good.
    Will

7. ChickenWing

ChickenWing Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    Michigan
    I put a dog chain, like the ones for small dogs ($3 at the petstore), on the lamp and hang it from a nail. Either from a sawhorse, or a joist if its in the basement. Then you just move it up/down a link of the chain to adjust the temp.

8. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    I used a camera tripod too. Worked perfectly, and raised and lowered easily.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by