How To Make A Show Girl?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by allanimals21, Aug 25, 2010.

1. allanimals21

allanimals21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    MN
    I would like to try and create my own showgirl. How would I go about doing so? Is it best to use a turken roo on a silkie hen or a silkie roo on a turken hen? I love mutt chickens anyways so I figured it was worth a shot. Also pics of your showgirls would be cool too.

2. silkydragon

silkydragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2009
    ohio valley
    i dont have any but have done research becouse i have thought about breeding my own i think you go nn roo to silkie hen

3. allanimals21

allanimals21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    MN
    Tucker will be happy to here that! lol
    [​IMG]

4. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Tucker is looking ready to oblige!

Sandie

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I think you use a NN roo over a silkie hen.

But if you want a real FLOOSIE... you use this guy.

[​IMG]

6. apc

apc Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
    Chickland, Il
    Id probably use a bantam Nn rooster over silkie hens. And then youd take the offspring of pullets back to the rooster, as silkie is recessive. [​IMG] I have some charming nn girls with black skin, was hoping they were boys [​IMG] but if you lived closer Id give them to you. [​IMG] Good luck! The showgirls I have are around 12 generation, :O thats a really long time! (if your thinking from a breeders perspective!)

7. wclawrence

wclawrence Chillin' With My Peeps

The least of your concerns is which is the rooster and which is the hen.
    if you can find a naked neck that is blue legged and pea or cushion or rose combed, that would be the one to use.
    And make sure you use a really dark (skinned) silkie.

The kicker is that you have to breed the naked necked offsprings back to one another OR back to silkie to get silkie feathering.
    If it was me I would probably do both. Because you will have to breed for type and other things besides just naked neck and silkie feathering.
    In three or four years you should be getting along nicely.

8. gootziecat

gootziecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2007
    Hampshire Co, WV
    Seems to me a std NN roo would crush a Silkie hen. I think it would be wiser to use a bantam NN roo. A NN hen to a Silkie roo will take a lot longer to get the size down.

9. ultasol

ultasol Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    SE Washington
    It's really best to start with showgirls. There are some REALLY good lines, and some people who have mostly showgirls, where they are quite refined and look fantastic.

It takes many crosses back to silkies to get them where they are now.

This is a bird of mine that I purchased as a chick from Sheryl Butler. I highly recommend her for showgirls. She's a sweetheart and shows.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  10. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    I wish you lived closer. I would GIVE you some Showgirls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by