How to make a swan environment

Discussion in 'Ornamental Fowl (Swans, etc.)' started by marvun22, Oct 4, 2013.

1. marvun22

marvun22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2012
    North Dakota
    I'm in North Dakota and we don't have any natural swan environments... so I was wondering how to make one.

2. Speceider

Speceider Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    I am a little unclear what you are asking. North Dakota gets probably well over 50,000 tundra swans using it's wetlands on migration. Trumpeters have been re-introduced into many areas of the mid-west....don't know about North Dakota. The Trumpeter Swan Society http://www.trumpeterswansociety.org/index.html would be a good source for habitat manipulations.

Clint

3. marvun22

Jul 8, 2012
    North Dakota
    What I'm asking is just how to make a swan living area. I know they have ponds and stuff, but that's all I know.

4. goldspur

goldspur Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2013
    Pierre S.D. 57501
    I'm in South Dakota, do you have any swans yet.I have Mute Swans.

5. marvun22

Jul 8, 2012
    North Dakota
    I don't have any swans.

6. goldspur

goldspur Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2013
    Pierre S.D. 57501
    Its very cold in the winter down here, so you definately would need winter shelter, they would never survive in our blizzards, and they need water to support their big body ,which means they are not walkers, or waddlers for long lenghts of time, plus they need the water to properly digest the food they eat, in freezing weather its a real pain, but I do it because I love my swans, people here stop just to watch my swans, from the road, ha ha, guess I'll have to get a santa hat ready......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by