how to make an apron

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by keekerschickens, Mar 22, 2015.

1. keekerschickens

keekerschickens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2015
    ohio
    I'm currently working on the plans for our run...we have coyotes and I was looking to use an apron of hardware cloth. My question is, do you bury the apron once it's down or basically just fold it at a 90 degree angle from where it meets the ground and leave it be?
    Thanks!!

2. PapaChaz

PapaChaz Overrun With Chickens

May 25, 2010
    NW Georgia
    just attach one edge to the bottom edge of the run, extend it out and stake it down with landscape cloth staples. You can cover it with mulch and plant flowers, or rocks or etc etc etc, or you can do nothing and your grass with grow up through it and over time it will become buried on it's own

3. keekerschickens

Mar 22, 2015
    ohio
    Great thanks a lot!

4. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Yep, PapaChaz is right. I ran mine two feet up the sides of the run, folded it at the bottom and ran it about 2 feet out. Tacked it down with landscape fabric staples and haven't had a problem one with it. Planned to put flat rock on it, but the grass grew up through it so well and it lays so flat that Ken can mow right over it, all the way to the side of the run. No hiding place at the base of the run for little critters (I hate mice!) and since our set up is visible from the street - we live in town - the less "stuff" there is around the coop and run the better it looks to people going by. Don't forget to cut some pieces for the corners!

5. henless

henless Chillin' With My Peeps

I used a larger wire for my apron. DH and I screwed onto the bottom of the 2x4's, then flipped them over and screwed them into the post. WE chose the larger diameter wire so that it would not rust out as fast as the hardware cloth.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I used metal tent stakes to hold the wire down. We then covered it in dirt. I plan on putting cinder blocks along 2 sides of the run for a raised garden.

[​IMG]

This was much easier than digging 1-2 foot down and putting in wire.

1 person likes this.
  6. keekerschickens

Mar 22, 2015
    ohio
    Thank you all so much! This has been very helpful

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by