1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how to make an inverter / operate 220V AC use 12 V DC

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mulia24, Sep 12, 2009.

1. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

hi...

I need to make inverter that can convert 12 Volt DC to 220 V AC that i need to powered my bator (even my home if strong enough [​IMG] ) since power outages ruin everything here. or maybe a way to make 220 volt AC bulb can operating on 12 V DC. as i've tried to wiring my 220 volt AC bulb to use 12 volt DC and it can't work at all.

Need only 100 watt here to make it enough power to operate light/bulb inside incubator to hatching here. that's painful to have embryos breath on CO2 of kerosene lamp as i don't want to breath that gas too. [​IMG]

how can i make it happen?

hope you all can help, or maybe your DH. [​IMG]

RSD, hope they can help me out.

sadly i don't have any experience and knowledge on soldering any kind of electronic circuit. [​IMG]

thank you very much. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
  2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

Wouldn't it be simpler to change the bulbs to 12 volt bulbs. Most thermostats could care less what kind of energy they have running threw them an the pc fans everyone uses are 12 volt DC already so why not use a car tail light bulb an have the hole incubator run on 12 Volt DC.

My first incubator was a 12volt incubator.
    [​IMG]

3. mulia24

hmm, i will try it, and how much it cost for you in US to buy tail lamp? is that tail lamp is lamp that use in car to show direction you want to go? it means to give alert to driver behind our car about our direction, isn't it? thank you. hope anyone could help me more and more.

4. rebelcowboysnb

A tail lamp is about $0.50 US here. Yes its the back direction bulb. It should be about the size of your big toe an use between 5 an 20 watts. The most common ones in the US are 1156 an 1157 bulbs.

[​IMG]

5. mulia24

wew, that's good information. and how long can it stand for use with 12 volt battery 50 A i think my battery.

6. rebelcowboysnb

Just guessing but a PC fan running all the time an the bulb cycling on an off should run between 24 an 48 hours on a average car battery. You dont want to draw the battery below 50% so I would try to put it back on a charger after 24 hours at least.

7. mulia24

and how to charge it?

can i just build a charger myself?

8. rebelcowboysnb

I just used jumper cables an my truck but you could build something.

I guess im spoiled in the US. I can just go buy a battery charger for about $20 or a solar cell for about $50.

You could do this....

9. mulia24

jumper cable? how is that doing? can you please explain it clearer?

yap, i will download it since the speed can't afford to stream it. [​IMG]

10. rebelcowboysnb

Jumper cables- running a power wires from the battery in my running car to the battery that powers the incubator.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by