How to make brassyback?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ThiefPouter06, Dec 12, 2008.

1. ThiefPouter06

ThiefPouter06 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2008
    green co. KY
    How would you go about making brassybacks? Black X goldduckwing?

2. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    nice pigeon in your avatar. homer?

I believe Katherine Plumer discussed it somewhere on her website. I know she developed the color with her rosecombs.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
  3. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    The brassy back does not appear to be wild type like the gold duckwing nor is it extended black or birchen like a black. It looks to be brown at the E locus. The females I have seen do not have the salmon colored breast so I do not believe the brassy back is wild type like the BBR.

If you crossed the black and gold duckwing you could get birds that look similar to a brassy back. The black bird would have the melanizers( gene that make a bird black) you need but you will not get a duckwing in the offspring. The brassy back I have seen have some color on their secondary flight feathers. If the black is birchen, you may get a hybrid birchen/wild type that did show some color in the wing.

Somewhere the brassy back picked up a different E locus gene and I believe it is brown (partridge). If someone breeds brassy back, they know more about what phenotypes ( what the birds look like) that the birds throw(sports). Evidently some birds were wild type/brown at the E locus and the brown segregated into the brassy back.

The problem I see is getting rid of the salmon breast in the female. A wild type male with the correct black extenders would express the brassy back phenotype. I do not know of any black extenders that would remove the salmon breast.

Here is the web site for the brassy back rose combs.

http://www.rosecomb.com/federation/articles/makingbbred.html

Tim

Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
  4. ThiefPouter06

Sep 3, 2008
    green co. KY
    WOW! I guess some patterns are very complicated.

My avatar is a spanish thief pouter cross.

5. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    beautiful bird [​IMG] I've always loved oriental frills...My grandfather raised them as well as fantails, homers and others....That one has a neat look to it...hmm may have to keep in touch with you [​IMG]

6. ThiefPouter06

Sep 3, 2008
    green co. KY
    heheh I love my pigeons. I have laudinos, indian fantails, ice pigeons, rollers and crossbred flying thief pouters.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by