how to make broody hen eat and drink

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by prittybitty, Apr 16, 2009.

1. prittybitty

prittybitty Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2008
    i have a broody buff orpington that never comes out of the nest box that i have seen. should i make her come out and eat and drink?

2. sheps4her

sheps4her Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2008
    Guilford County, NC
    I usually put food and water right near them. They will usually get up at least once to use the bathroom and eat/drink quickly then run right back inside.

3. Roosteroops

Roosteroops Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2008
    Cary, NC
    It is hard to believe this but it's true: the hen knows what she is doing. I went through this also - I even threw "yummies" at my broody's nesting box to no avail. She does eat, she does drink but she'll never do it when you are around. She'll get all scrawny looking and have a lot of bad hair days - but leave her alone. Soon you'll have cute fluffy's and you'll be amazed at how much easier it is when SHE raises them!

4. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    Mine won't get off the nest either and we don't even have fertile eggs under her. I take her out of the nest when I feed the rest of the flock and put her down with them and she eats, poops, and finds her way right back to the nest when she's done.

5. prittybitty

prittybitty Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2008
    thanks that takes worry off me cant wait to see the chicks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by