how to make hen set

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by littlered, Jul 19, 2010.

1. littlered

littlered In the Brooder

May 16, 2010
    montpiler
    is there anyway to get hen to set any secrets or tips anyone have to help me?

2. paddock36

paddock36 Songster

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    There is no way to "make" a hen set if she is not going to. However, when I want to let my Serama's hatch their own eggs I just leave the eggs in their nest each day and when they have laid about 9 eggs they start setting. It's worked every time, but some breeds just don't go broody from what I understand.

3. littlered

littlered In the Brooder

May 16, 2010
    montpiler
    i have black cochin hens witch what i have heard are good broody hens when i bought them the other two the peole had were sitting already but these will not is it because i have only had them a short time and there not used to where there are or should i just try not messing with the eggs for a few days

4. cackleberrylinda

cackleberrylinda Songster

Jun 6, 2010
    Arlington
    You can leave her eggs there and she may come to them. In my experience, a hen has to become comfortable with her new home. I guess in her "henny" little way she wants to be sure she is safe and that her little eggy babies will be safe also. But for sure, we cannot make a hen broody. I can tell you, if we could, I would have a hen house full of broody hens right now. But no go. Not a one. Oh well, I have my incubator ....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by