How to Make Home made Deli Meats?

airmechreed

Songster
8 Years
May 17, 2011
Colorado Springs
Ok I was wondering if there is anyone out there making deli meats ie. tube style meats and how to cook them. I know how to take whole pieces of meat and make them into a deli sliced meat, however I am talking the processed type of deli meat. I hunt and I am looking for ways to make homade bologna, salami and other sandwich style meats. There is not much on the internet as far as process in which to do so. I love Turkey and want to learn to use all of the meat even if it means processing it into tube form and slicing it for sandwhiches. Does anyone make their own deli meats or know where I can get any info to do so?

You've got to purchase a copy of Charcuterie The Craft of Salting, Smoking, and Curing by Michael Ruhlman and Brian Polcyn.

Last time I looked Amazon had the hardcover for about $20 (way marked down). That's the source for people who are serious about it.

My Mom had a recipe for homemade salami that used ground beef & pickling salt.

No casing needed, you shaped the seasoned meat into a roll, wrapped the roll in foil & boiled it.

If you'd like the recipe I can look for it when I get home from work & post it here.

Easy Summer Sausage

2 pounds of ground chuck
1/2 tsp. of garlic powder
1/2 tsp. of onion powder
2 Tbs. of Morton's tender quick (near the spices in a blue bag)
1 cup of water

Mix this all up very well in a bowl. Then divide this into 4ths and wrap each roll in Saran and refrigerate for 24 hours. Remove wrap and bake for 90 minutes at 325. The rolls should turn reddish.

Wrap and refrigerate or freeze.

Quote:
I was just getting ready to post the same question when I seen your post here. I have been searching the internet of an on today trying to find how to make Olive loaf or regular bologna. i love some of these cold cuts, but am having a hard time justifing a price of 4.99 and 5.99 a lb for them. I think I can make them myself without a smoker. I know some of them you can bake in the oven.I did find a place that has some recipes and I will try to post it here. It is a pdf file and I had to hold mycontrol key down while I clicked on the link, so you may have to download it to your desktop first. The website is... http://lpoli.50webs.com/Sausage recipes.htm#LUNCHEON I haven't tried any of these yet, but i want to soon. Let us know if you do please, or if you find any other sites I could explore, you're right there aren't many places to look. Good luck.

http://www.amazon.com/Great-Sausage...8609/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319808405&sr=8-1
Great Sausage Recipes & Meat Curing: 4th Edition [Hardcover]
31FLFz23m8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Quote:
Sounds great I would love it.

Look at BettyR's recipe for Summer Sausage - this is the same recipe except my Mom wrapped the rolls in foil and boiled instead of baked.
Meat does turn red - that's the Morton TenderQuick salt.

I'll look for Mom's recipe tonight.

Back
Top Bottom