How to Make Home Made Incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Axle Quails, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Axle Quails

Axle Quails Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    London
    Anyone got ideas How to make a home made one

I got plenty of wood and glass and that but what eles would i need ?

2. bstead24

bstead24 Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2011
    I used a metal light box to hook up a standard light fixture ... A 40 watt light bulb seemed to work well for me... I then took an indoor extention cord and clipped off the the end ... Wired it to the light fixture and to a Water tank heater... Then played with the setting till I got it to stay between 99.5 and 102 .... A small CPU fan from a computer wired to a 12v plug ( Maybe from an old cell phone charger ) .. Helped to circulate the air... Some Hardware clothe to line the bottom and some small containers of water to keep the Humidity levels..... That all seemed to work for me and I am watching him hatch as we speak [​IMG]

3. ninabl

ninabl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2010
    franklin ky
    im going to do a writeup on the one i built for less then 10$ once i figure out how to post pics. i think a waterheater thermostat is about 10$ and i hear the temp has to drop about 10-12 deg befor it will kick the light back on (so i heard) i had a old fish tank heater layong around. i took it out of the glass test tube it was in and clipped of the heating element wires. i then used butt conectors and crimped on the 2 wires from the female end of a extention cord. i pluged my light into the extention cord and it works great. i have a 40 watt bulb that stays on all the time and a 100 watt wired to the thurmostat. most people say to just use a 40 watt bulb but im using more watts to make more heat as i have my incubator vented pretty good to keep the air inside fresh.
    good luck to you.

4. LaGeniaLoca

LaGeniaLoca Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Yorba Linda, CA
    I made my incubator with a plastic rubbermaid bin and a plexiglass top. I made a hole in one end to attach a standard light fixture, and put several small holes for ventilation all around the sides. Glass bowl for water and a wet bulb thermometer for humidity. Made the shelf with hardware cloth and put a towel over it to protect little feet. Added an oven thermometer to track temperature. When it got closer to hatching time, I also put a hardware cloth barrier around the towel to keep the chicks from reaching the light. First time I used it, I hatched 5 out of 6 eggs (one was a dud). I'm on my second hatch now, and just had my first pip today.

[​IMG]

NOTE: The newspaper is just to cover the bulb so it doesn't hurt my eyes to look inside. I'm not promoting the ad or anything.

5. Axle Quails

May 1, 2011
    London
    So a 40 Watt bulb do a 2 foot incubator and 2 foot wide with 2 shelves

6. Axle Quails

May 1, 2011
    London
    Bump!!!

7. bstead24

bstead24 Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2011
    Mine is 2 foot long X 1 foot wide and the 40 watt works good... You may wanna test with maybe a 60 watt for something a little bigger... Try different watt bulbs as ya need to increase / decrease the temp

8. Axle Quails

May 1, 2011
    London
    Thanks Because i got 2 - 20 watts on top and it only at top shelve and i really need to move them to bottom [​IMG]

Dont they need thermostatic - Sorry cant spell

9. ninabl

ninabl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2010
    franklin ky
    if u build it without a thermostat u can set ur temp but if the temp in the room the incubator is in changes it will change in you incubator to. i built one with out a thermostat and my hatch rate was zero because the room heated up durring the day and cooled of at night. on a 75 degree day it was 99 in the incubator but if the room got up to 80 the incubator climbed to 108 and if it cooled of at night to about 60 the incubator droped to about 80. its ur call but i put a thermostat in mine and it took all the stress out of watching the temp. set it and forget it.

10. Axle Quails

May 1, 2011
    London
    But i dont have a clue Where to get them from

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by