How to make it less stinky/wet?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by NamahKatana, Oct 11, 2011.

1. NamahKatana

NamahKatana Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Oregon
    Is there a way to keep the chicken/duck area less soaked and stinky? It rains ALOT here and floods their yard. Is there something I can lay down to make it less of a stinky mess?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    The runners' yard is on a very slight slope. I also bolted a 2"x4" along the uphill side of the pen. I dug a shallow swale along one edge of it, and that seems to keep even the pounding rains from doing much more than rinsing the pen. I also have their swim water on pea gravel, and I shaped that to conduct water toward the swale, which leads to a shallow channel into a garden area. Free fertilizer!

3. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    I used.cedar kennel bedding for the smell. It went away almost immediately. Good luck.

4. NamahKatana

Apr 23, 2011
    Oregon
    D'Angelo N Va. :

I used.cedar kennel bedding for the smell. It went away almost immediately. Good luck.

Around the whole yard?​

5. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    I had them in a pen when I used it. The whole yard would be rather expensive. Hmmm back to the drawing board.

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    When I know we're getting rain I spread g. lime on the ground where they hang out the most, it helps alot with the smell, not so much with the muck. I also use lime in the houses mixed into their bedding real good.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  7. NamahKatana

Apr 23, 2011
    Oregon
    D'Angelo N Va. :

I had them in a pen when I used it. The whole yard would be rather expensive. Hmmm back to the drawing board.

Thats what I meant lol Pen not yard​

8. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Clean up all the poo, add lime, make a slope so all water easily run off w/no pooling anywhere. Or move them farther away from the house.

9. Chicky-dees

Chicky-dees Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    I agree with Miss Lydia - lime used around the area, under the pen or in any place that they play(water fowl are great at digging holes in the puddles and causing the topsoil to wash out over time due to filling/dumping playpools, etc) and it will actually keep your yard/dirt healthy. But I wouldn't use the lime until you can move the birds to another spot. Lime can be caustic and eat away at little feet, bad for mucous membranes (eyes, respiratory, etc). Lime will help break down the bacteria in the soil that causes the stink. Adding more of a 'mulch' type compound will eventually build up and you'll have to physically scrape it and add it to the weedbin, but in a quick fix it would work as long as you put lime down first. You want to get rid of the bacteria and not give it a place to hide so I'd try a little yard/garden lime from the feed store and see where that gets you. I have the same problem - not wet all of the time, but it can get humid and the still air holds in the smell, it seems. I pick up the fowl house and move it to the other side of the yard every few months.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by