How to make my chicken stop laying egg?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luckybaby

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 11, 2014
I have a bantam chicken who laid more than 30 eggs since 2 months ago (1 egg every two days). My problem is that, she doesn't want to be broody and also, it appears that she doesn't want to stop laying eggs. Is there any way to stop her from laying eggs, without injection and giving her something to eat or drink?

Last edited:
If you are taking the eggs as she lays them, stop and leave them there so that she builds up a clutch. That MAY trigger her broody instincts. If she continues laying, that's just more breakfast.
idunno.gif

welcome-byc.gif
I was wondering, too, why you want her to stop? Are you hoping she'll go broody if she stops laying? Are you getting more eggs than you can use? Chickens lay eggs. It's what they're made to do. If you're hoping she'll go broody, then do as Sourland suggested and let her develop a clutch. That does not guarantee that it will happen, but it *could*. Broodiness is determined by hormones, and you can't really change that. If you want eggs hatched, you may need to get an incubator if you want them in a certain time frame. If you're getting too many eggs, bless your friends, neighbors, coworkers and relatives with them! Make angel food cake from scratch (I haven't made a box cake in years!), make puddings, custards, deviled eggs, egg salad, hard boiled eggs......

Last edited:
If you are taking the eggs as she lays them, stop and leave them there so that she builds up a clutch. That MAY trigger her broody instincts. If she continues laying, that's just more breakfast.
idunno.gif

About a month ago, she have more than 15 eggs(I never took them out to put it somewhere) on the place she lays her egg, yet she doesn't want to incubate them. Also last year, there was more than 24 eggs yet again, she doesn't want to incubate them. Do you know a way to stop her from laying egg, since I don't want to eat her fertilized egg.

idunno.gif

This totally worked with my Molted java...I had left 5 fake eggs in a nest, she decided it was her nest, .. I started gathering eggs from the other nest and placing them in hers, leaving the eggs til around 5-6pm (still mild temps out here) One day I noticed she was on the nest for alittle over 2 hours...waited til she was off and gathered the eggs.. Next day she was on the nest longer and so on.. Now she is full on broody, wont let anyone on her nest to lay an egg and I couldn't be happier... May try it again and see if I can get my BA to want to join the fun

PS.. Sourland..
I tried to move her at 10:30 at night, she did fine, laid down on the eggs like she was supposed too...Next morning she was in full freak out mode.. I let her out and she pooped, scratched around for a few min and then went back to her old nest...I just decided to let her brood there and will move her and babies once they hatch.. More afraid she will just give up if I keep messing with her. Thoughts?

welcome-byc.gif
I was wondering, too, why you want her to stop? Are you hoping she'll go broody if she stops laying? Are you getting more eggs than you can use? Chickens lay eggs. It's what they're made to do. If you're hoping she'll go broody, then do as Sourland suggested and let her develop a clutch. That does not guarantee that it will happen, but it *could*. Broodiness is determined by hormones, and you can't really change that. If you want eggs hatched, you may need to get an incubator if you want them in a certain time frame. If you're getting too many eggs, bless your friends, neighbors, coworkers and relatives with them! Make angel food cake from scratch (I haven't made a box cake in years!), make puddings, custards, deviled eggs, egg salad, hard boiled eggs......

I really want her to become broody. However, one of the reason that I wanted her to stop laying eggs, is that, my other broody hen can't incubate all of her eggs. I only want my chickens to be my pet. That means that I don't want to eat them nor eat their eggs.

If you don't want to eat fertilized eggs, separate her from the rooster.

Why don't you want to eat fertilized eggs?

I imprison my chickens for an average of 18 hours everyday and let them out for an average of 6 hours everyday, since several months ago. I don't want to imprison my hen, just because she will mate with the rooster, and continue to lay egg, until she molts. Does hens only stop laying eggs if they become broody, when they molt, and when someone inject them something or give them something to eat or drink to prevent her from laying eggs temporarily?

I imprison my chickens for an average of 18 hours everyday and let them out for an average of 6 hours everyday, since several months ago. I don't want to imprison my hen, just because she will mate with the rooster, and continue to lay egg, until she molts. Does hens only stop laying eggs if they become broody, when they molt, and when someone inject them something or give them something to eat or drink to prevent her from laying eggs temporarily?

She will continue to lay eggs with or without the rooster.
Hens will stop laying when they molt or become broody, both of which they can and will do without a rooster, I have never heard of injecting a hen with anything to force her to stop laying eggs tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom