1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to make pullets lay early....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by allaboutdemchicks, Nov 9, 2008.

1. allaboutdemchicks

allaboutdemchicks Chapel Farms

Sep 13, 2008
    Jemison, AL
    I got a phone call Friday night from the hubby's Uncle Jerry that claims there is a guy that works with him that knows how to make pullets lay early....you got to sing to them. So, Uncle Jerry suggested that he and "Papaw Larry" come help the hubby sing a little karioke and invite the whole darn family and their friends over to our house to see if this works. Yall, I got so amused at this attempt to talk me into a karioke party that I laughed and gave in (the bunch know how to get me).

Yesterday, as my hubby, Mark, was setting the up the equipment he got started singing. And sing he does. Well, I was cleaning brooder boxes out and I heard her...."Hopscotch" the Serama I purchased from Lydia with Webb Acres announce that she laid my and her first egg!!!!! It must have been the Earl Thomas Conley..hehe.

My first egg! With a cracked golfball next to it.
    [​IMG]

I called Uncle Jerry, told him it has happened......his reply "Don't worry, we all get through singing tonight your gonna have a bucket full." Well, its the next day and no bucket full but it's not cause they didn't try. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2008
  2. sunnydee

sunnydee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    Maine
    Congrats on your first egg! We just got our first today too![​IMG]

3. allaboutdemchicks

Sep 13, 2008
    Jemison, AL
    Well, sunnydee isn't fun to be in the club?

4. sunnydee

sunnydee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    Maine
    Yes it is! And it was great that me and my daughter watched her do it! It took about 20 minutes for her to lay it! We were jumping up and down and just about scared the other chickens out of the coop! LOL

5. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Congratulations! And you're discovered how folk legends begin...heh:lol:

6. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Seriously, I know a couple that used to have a flock of Australorps before they moved to the city.

They said they ALWAYS played a radio low in the coop. Said it made the hens lay more often and they had bigger eggs.

I wonder..........hmmmmmmm.

7. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    Quote:Well, why not? It's been proven that music can be beneficial to plant growth, and it definitely has therapeutic value for people and animals.

I'd just make sure it's not anything really raucous or harsh. No punk rock, disco, death metal, or industrial in my coop, thank you. I'd stick to easy listening, classical, (you have to watch out for some classical, though, some of it sounds discordant and violent, I'd avoid those) folk, blues, and mellower forms of rock. New age would probably work well, as well as many ethnic genres, such as Celtic, Native American, acoustic Spanish guitar...anything relaxing and mellow, I know I've left out a lot of good choices.

BUT, if something makes you startle or recoil, I'd keep it out of the coop.

I may have to scrounge up an old radio and put in the coop, and see what happens.

BTW, when a hen lays her first egg, how would you determine whether anything you did helped, or if she would've started laying at that time regardless?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2008
  8. allaboutdemchicks

Sep 13, 2008
    Jemison, AL
    Well, my nineteen year old has an "alternitive music" band that practices out there most nights of the week. With the change of music to a slowed down beat of older country..... maybe that helped. HeHeHe

9. Chickenmagnet

Chickenmagnet Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    um how old where the pullets?

10. allaboutdemchicks

Sep 13, 2008
    Jemison, AL
    Not sure. She's around 6 months old. I wonder how many eggs a week a Serama lays?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by