How to make Red Sexlink chicks?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by 9farmgirl9, May 14, 2011.

1. 9farmgirl9

9farmgirl9 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Jasper, Mo
    I am wanting to know how to make sexlink chicks. Do i just get red hens and a white roo or white hens and a red roo. But i want hens that are good brown egg layers. And if possible have there chicks be good egg layers, And if the chicks are roo's to be a decent size to eat. Thanks [​IMG]

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

You'll need a Rhode Island Red (gold gene, I believe) rooster and a Delaware hen (silver gene). That'll do it.

3. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    You can try playing around with this...

http://kippenjungle.nl/breeds/crossbreeds.html

Click on each breed you want to try then hit "put in calculator" then "phenotypes" and it will tell you what the babies look like. If it's a sex-link mix the pullets and cockerels will be different colors.

4. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Red rooster over white hen. Pullet chicks of that have red and cockerels are white. Black sex links I believe are meatier and lay larger eggs. That's red rooster over barred rock. Chick pullets of this cross wont have the white dot on head.

5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Quote:But not just any "white" hen. She has to have the silver gene. I also disagree that BSLs have larger eggs than RSLs. Not in our experience of owning them both.

But, you are right in that the BSL is generally meatier and the chicks are distinguished by white head dot means roo, no dot means pullet.

6. 9farmgirl9

9farmgirl9 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Jasper, Mo
    Fred's Hens :

You'll need a Rhode Island Red (gold gene, I believe) rooster and a Delaware hen (silver gene). That'll do it.

How can you tell if they have the gold gene and silver gene.​

7. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by