How to Make Sure Rats don't Cause Salmonella in Hens/Eggs?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickeepoo, Aug 30, 2010.

1. chickeepoo

chickeepoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    With the big egg recall in America and worries about salmonella infecting hens and eggs, is there a way to make sure any rodents who sneak into the hen house (and leave droppings) don't spread this to the hens and the eggs? I'm sure hens being hens, they have ingested at least some rat droppings by now…[​IMG]

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Good question..

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Keep the rat poison in bait tubes near the coop and sweep and mop the coop often.

4. chickeepoo

Mar 10, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    OK, Thank you- that sounds like good common sense prevention. Now, is there a way to tell if they already have it in their systems and is there a preventative antibiotic that would eradicate the salmonella if it is present? I realize that hens eat gross things all the time if they have the opportunity, and the gizzard is a great filter, but I worry now that they may have something unknown brewing… I think the eggless summer and diarrhea might have been due to the horrible heat wave we had, so if that all clears up I'd be left only worrying about the salmonella possibility.

5. StupidBird

StupidBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    Instead of NPIP certified, can we go up a level to PPIP certified? (paranoid people inspecting poultry?)

I get asked all the time now if my chickens have salmonella. Isn't there hundreds of strains of this bacteria? If there are tests for the ones that make people sick (which would have to update constantly due to variants mutating naturally), how often would one test? How often vaccinated? I eat undercooked eggs all the time - softboiled, puddings... I'm not trying to be insulting, just really don't know this, if it is even practical.

I'm voting the heat for the same reasons you state, chickipoo. Today and yesterday were alot cooler and their poops are, hmmm, firmer and larger.

6. chickeepoo

Mar 10, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Well, I'd rather err on the side of caution b/c my kids eat these eggs as well… so rather than test every bird and spend $ out the wazoo, wouldn't it be practical to go a round of a specific antibiotic to be sure there isn't a problem, especially while the older hens are not laying again yet and the younger ones haven't started? [​IMG]

I would agree it could get out of hand if every bird had to produce a certification of health for itself and a stamp of approval on every egg- they could even wear an ID card around their neck and get a tatoo on their backside if we want to kick it up a notch. [​IMG]

7. StupidBird

StupidBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    maybe easier if I just lay off the softboiled eggs for breakfast. Just how cooked does an egg need to get to kill this round of germs anyhow? Hard facts, like x minutes at y temp, or will just until set? I'm probably making myself sicker worrying about this than I would catching anything from my birds.

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Not minutes, but when there is no more softness in the egg(s). DONE. Like REALLY done. The way I don't like my meat, either. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by