1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

How to make them go broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BLaBauve, May 13, 2010.

1. BLaBauve

BLaBauve Songster

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    I know I can't make them, but how can I suggest they go broody? I pick up eggs everyday. . . should I leave a bunch out there to suggest they go broody? Does that make a difference? I have brahmas, wyandottes, and 1 RIR right now. Will any of them go broody??

2. elmo

elmo Songster

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I don't know about those breeds, but here's how I encouraged my bantams to go broody: I let them accumulate a clutch of eggs in their nest (I stopped collecting eggs). When enough accumulated, a hen would settle in to sit. This worked three times for my three hens. For their breed, the clutch needed to be 8 or 9 eggs, but for the standard breeds it might need to be larger.

3. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Crowing Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    There are threads out there with ideas or suggestions on how you can "make" your hen go broody, but honestly, I would let nature take its course and let the hen decide to be broody. Leaving eggs out won't help either. It seems to be something inside their little brains just snaps and they get the urge to sit on eggs. Some breeds are more prone to being broody than other too. Silkies are famous for it along with Orpingtons. I will point out however, that broody's can happen in any breed as I found out yesterday. I had a friend here locally come pick up a few eggs from me for her Golden Red (Yes! That's right, a sex-link!!!) to sit on! I was trying to help her diagnose the issue with her hen over the phone and we were both certain her hen was egg bound. Once she sat her in a warm, soapy bath she realized that all of the hens breast feathers were gone. She dried her up and put her back in the coop where she ate a little and went straight back to the spot she had been sitting. Sure enough! Her little Golden Red is broody! So don't give up. Anything can go broody if it gets the right mind frame. You just have to let nature takes its course and there is one thing I know for certain. You should have broody's next year! [​IMG]

4. BLaBauve

BLaBauve Songster

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    I'll be counting on your Orps to prove you right! [​IMG] cross your fingers for lots of girls, my hatch starts Tuesday!

5. BLaBauve

BLaBauve Songster

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    And why were the sex links breast feathers missing? Does that happen when go broody? Do they pluck them out?

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Yes, broodies tend to pluck their breast feathers out to keep their eggs warm.

7. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Crowing Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Yep, they do! That way they can create the right warm and humid environment for the eggs. [​IMG]

Lots of luck on your hatch! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by