how to make them stay in coop?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sdshoars, Jun 18, 2008.

1. sdshoars

sdshoars Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    Texas
    we have a chicken tractor for our chicks. they go in the run every night about dusk, but then my husband and i have to fight with them to get them to go into the coop. this has been every night for the past two weeks. they just hunker down and go to sleep right by the door to the coop. when we shut them in finally they just peep and whine at the door. so question is, how do i get my little guys to go into the COOP at night? i can't be fighting with them every night to get them inside, its absurd. any suggestions are much appreciated! thanks.

2. balticbabe

balticbabe Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    King County, WA
    We had the same problem so I put a light in the coop, that worked like a charm. I set in on a timer so it stays on for an hour at dusk. The girls go in-and-out for about a half hour but they stay inside once it's dark. Before the light they would sleep outside and my husband would pick them up one by one to stuff them in the coop. What a hassle. Hope it works for you.

3. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Try giving htem a bit of favorite food in the coop, just at dusk.

4. sdshoars

sdshoars Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    Texas
    anyone else have any ideas? is it ok to just leave them out, the run is predator proof? should i just let them sleep where they want to?

5. basicliving

basicliving Keepin' the sunny side up

Mar 20, 2008
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    I don't know how old your chicks are - or where you live - but my concern would be snakes if you have any type of wire they could get through. Our coop and run is very safe, but I still worry about snakes at night, so I lock up the coop with the girls/guys inside. If yours are about grown, it may not be such a concern.

Penny

6. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Keep them inside the coop for a few days. Feed them and water them in there. They begin to associate the coop with home then.
    Next withold their feed for a few hours and then each day, give them feed in the coop at dusk.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by