How to manage many hens with chicks in one room

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by katienana, Apr 16, 2017.

1. katienana

katienana New Egg

Apr 10, 2017
    Hi,I have suddenly had many of my hens brooding and hatching their eggs. Some hens are so ruthless to chicks not their own. I did not want to mix them with the older chickens. How do I go about it? Thank you.

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Do Like I do----Separate---If I didn't I would have had many dead/hurt chicks----I had 72 broody hens in 2015 alone. I have about 15 broody pens---to keep them in. But I never mix chicks with adults----not even when they get to adult size. I wait till the young ones start laying then sell the 2+ year old ones---been doing this---this way for over 30 years----works great for me.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Agrees with PD-R...separate them in broody pens.

OR break the broodiness out of some of them.

4. song of joy

song of joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    If chicks are hatching out within a day or two of each other, I'd recommend consolidating chicks by fostering them to other hens. For example, if two hens each hatch out 6 chicks within a day of each other, give all the chicks to one of the two hens. This could reduce your broody hen conflicts by half. It's important to do this while the chicks are no more than 1-2 days old, and preferably with a reliable broody who will readily accept chicks. The chick-less hens could then be integrated back into the flock.

You could also let one of the broody hens raise her chicks within the flock of older hens, while separating out the other broody hens into their own areas. That way, at least some of your chicks will be integrated into the older flock by the broody hen. This works best with hens that are already higher-ranking in the pecking order.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  5. katienana

katienana New Egg

Apr 10, 2017

6. katienana

katienana New Egg

Apr 10, 2017
    oh thanks...let me get to making the pens!

7. katienana

katienana New Egg

Apr 10, 2017
    Oooh I did not know you could do this. It explains though how some of the chicks switched mothers!

8. katienana

katienana New Egg

Apr 10, 2017

Hi...I have been able to make a few pens and its working wonderfully. Thank you.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by