How to manage the chickens in the evening?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by tereza911, Mar 21, 2017.

1. tereza911

tereza911 New Egg

Mar 21, 2017
    So I would love to get chickens. Been wanting for a long time. I have a big yard and if I get them, I would love for them to roam around, I m far away from the roads.
    My concern is, I work night shift, what can I do to make sure they are in and locked before I leave for work?
    Any suggestions?
    Thank you!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  2. Hillaire

Hillaire Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2017
    Hudson Valley NY
    maybe an automatic door? once you get a coop you leave them inside of it for a few days and usually once they free range they will go back in by themselves at night sometimes they need a little help the first couple nights. An automatic chicken door may be your best bet since you work nights, unless someone that maybe lives with you or a friend or neighbor could shut them up at night for you if it is an option?

1 person likes this.
  3. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi, welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

If you have to leave before lock down time... you can use a treat in the same container and shake it while you say here chick chick.. or whatever you like to call them. And they should come running. Toss it on the coop/run floor and lock up.

1 person likes this.
  4. tereza911

tereza911 New Egg

Mar 21, 2017
    Oh, automatic doors for chicken coops exists? I have never heard of it before! Something to look into!
    I do have neighbor but I can't count on it every single day as she has a busy life herself. But here and there she might be able to!
    Thank you for the tips, I will definitely follow on those once I get them [​IMG]

5. tereza911

tereza911 New Egg

Mar 21, 2017
    Haha I already see myself trying to lure them in [​IMG] if that trick works, that's amazing! I'm sure my dog would help with gathering them as well [​IMG]

6. tereza911

tereza911 New Egg

Mar 21, 2017
    Obviously I have a lot to learn before I bring chickens in [​IMG] thank you so much for these suggestions!

7. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    What are the hours of your shift? If you work overnights, you'll most likely be going to work after dark, yes? In that case, they will have already put themselves to bed. But it's important to lock them in overnight, as that's when most predators are on the prowl, and we know that everybody likes chicken. Beware, chicken wire does not keep predators out, it only keeps chickens in. Lots of ventilation in your coop, and have all openings covered by 1/2" hardware cloth. If you could push a quarter through a hole, a weasel could get through.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  8. tereza911

tereza911 New Egg

Mar 21, 2017
    The problem is that my shift varies. I start anywhere between 5pm to 8 pm. So during summer, they might still be roaming around [​IMG]

9. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Either use an automatic door, or build a secure enough run that you don't need to close them in the coop.

You can also just accept the occasional lose from predators and never actually lock them up. Mine come and go as they please and are never locked in.

There are plenty of ways to keep chickens, you just need to figure out what works for you, and what you are comfortable with.

10. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Theses are all good ideas. And the best point of all, what YOU are comfortable with!

@tereza911 it really depends on your environment. When I lived in the city in So Cal... never closed the door and never had a loss, not even an enclosed run. Cats don't worry me for full grown chickens. Now where I live, the predator load is much higher and I would be very uncomfortable doing that. My son lives in town, 2 miles from me... but they have tons of raccoon. Don't think I would even be able to free range there. They even hang out on peoples' porches. [​IMG] Probably enjoying peoples' pet food.

Also when I lived in the city, I didn't collect my feed and had rat's visiting. Now I know there may be rats around, but they aren't getting a free ride to reproduce at my house and I collect my feed every night.

Just remember, if you do use treats... keep them limited so as to not upset the balanced nutrition. Since I ferment my feed the chickens think dry feed (pellets don't have too much dust for me) is a treat! [​IMG] So when I toss that out, I know I'm not diminishing protein or other valuable nutrients. Of course they love live meal worms (or dried, slightly less nutrition). Summer time, frozen peas are a favorite with good nutrients. They love corn but I avoid it since it's more like a candy bar and that's what their feed mostly is anyways.

Pics are always welcome! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by