how to mass cull?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by klf73, Jul 7, 2011.

1. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    We are not doing it yet, still awaiting final lab results. Preliminary results indicate mareks. We were going to be giving away 75+ chicks that I wasn't keeping, now the responsible thing to do is cull ALL [​IMG] we aren't being rash, am waiting results first but need to find best way for dh to do this. He is probably going to decapitate them... can't imagine doing that to so many babies [​IMG] . He is NOT happy we have to deal with this at all...kids are going to be devastated.

So, is decapitation best way? Just seems like soo many...

2. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    thats most likely the easiest... sorry you are dealing with this [​IMG]

3. nalisea

nalisea Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2011
    McConnelsville, Ohio
    We just had to "de-populate" our entire flock. We found that a .22 shot to the head with a second shot to the chest was very quick and effective. But depending on where you live sometimes shooting isn't an option.

Sorry for your losses! I know how bad it hurts to lose so many.

4. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

I can only imagine having to off 75 chicks, one at a time, leaves a hole in your soul.

What about putting them in a container and running the car, letting the exhaust fill the container. I read the other day that some said they knew someone who had culled their hen that way. I believe it took about 10 minutes (for a grown chicken) and the hen was relatively quiet throughout the procedure.

Here is a link from a previous post about home euthanasia using Carbon dioxide.

http://www.alysion.org/euthanasia/

Again...sorry your chicken adventure has lead to this road. [​IMG]

5. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    [​IMG] Can't even imagine being in your shoes right now. I am soo sorry. [​IMG]

I have read that decapitation with a pair of sharp scissors is fast and easy with chicks.

Keeping my fingers crossed that the final labs bring better news!!

6. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:Thank you
    .22 won't work since they are all under 12 weeks.

7. Erica

Erica Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2010
    Do you really have to cull? Marek's is something you can easily breed resistance against by keeping all the ones that don't get sick.

It's a devastating, terrible disease, and I'm not in your shoes, but as I understand it it's virtually impossible to disinfect completely because the virus stays dormant in the dust and dander... One tiny speck of dust left behind and it's back. Meanwhile some of those culls will very likely have had what it takes genetically to beat the disease (and breed offspring with resistance).

I don't mean to question your decision-making, so please don't feel the need to defend what you're doing. There's nothing worse than seeing young birds go down... [​IMG]

8. nalisea

nalisea Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2011
    McConnelsville, Ohio
    Quote:Thank you
    .22 won't work since they are all under 12 weeks.

Our ranged from 10 weeks to about a year old, it went fine. I am on the verge of OCD with humane culling around here so a $20 box of shells was well worth my chickies not having to suffer. Best of luck!!

9. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    Sorry for your loss. I had never heard of depopulating for Mareks....It's just one of things most people live with as most that survive have immunity. You can also vaccinate any incoming birds to protect them. Also, unless I am mistaken it does not pass down through the egg.
    Best of luck to you in whatever happens [​IMG]

10. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:although it may be easier and quicker to do all at once dh won't want to put them through that in their last minutes...he will probably walk each individually so they aren't freaking out in an overcrowded box waiting to die. He is the type to put his own dog down if necessary...he says why freak them out bringing them to a place they hate...he would give them a nice steak and would put them down during a happy moment...anyway, going off topic ...dh will probably just behead

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by