How to mix (introduce) 1year old hens with almost 6weeks old chicks???

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Toi-toi, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Toi-toi

Toi-toi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Central MA
    I have five 1year old free range SS and almost 6weeks old caged-in SS chicks.
    Because so hot outside and little chicks fenced in area didn't have good shade, I thought I want to let them go to free range.
    Older ones are seeing little ones thru the fence since they were 2weeks old.
    Do you think they've seen little ones long enough to be not bothered????

Also, when they go in to same coop, how do you managed to feed them separate??
    My little ones are still on chick starter and big ones are on layers.
    Do I have to put wall in the coop or something???

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I resolved the feed problem by feeding my whole flock grower or flock raiser. I have oyster shell available in a separate feeder. I've never seen the chicks pay any attention to it. I like this a lot better, because it's safe for chicks, better for roosters, and gives he hens more protein. I've been doing this for several months and my egg shells are fine.

Really, though, the safest way to integrate is wait til the chicks are about the same size as the hens. You could try putting them together but there's a fair chance the hens will attack the chicks. Just depends on the flock.

3. Toi-toi

Toi-toi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Central MA
    Thanks.
    It's hard to decide... I heard that "have to be same size" rule but also heard it's OK if they are free range.
    Chicks are getting so big to staying inside house...

4. lowry075

lowry075 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Southern California
    I have the same situation. The teenagers get chased and pecked every so often by the year olds. They like to throw their weight around, and I have had to intervene several times. [​IMG] I can't wait until my teens get big enough to fend for themselves.[​IMG] Right now I have chicken wire dividing my coop/ run for during the day, and the teens sleep in their brooder ( a large outdoor storage box with hardware cloth top) at night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by