How to move a broody hen

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by peteyfoozer, Oct 28, 2011.

1. peteyfoozer

peteyfoozer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    SE Oregon
    I don't mind letting her try and hatch the clutch she is being so peckish about guarding, but she is in a nesting box several feet off the ground. How do I go about moving her and the eggs?

2. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Nighttime, with a flashlight. Quietly and calmly just place a towel over her and transport her to somewhere quiet and private. Place eggs under her, keep the nesting area dark all night and even into the next day if you can, just to be sure she stays on that nest. Should do the trick...always works for me.

3. peteyfoozer

peteyfoozer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    SE Oregon
    Great! Thanks for the tip! We will go into stealth mode tonite.

4. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    I have one that just went broody, I pick her up and put her on the ground lol, she walks back into the coop and jumps right back in . I'm pretty sure she will be a good mom, she is driving me nuts. To bad I have no rooster.

5. Godiva

Godiva Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    Yup, I wait until it is dark and then very calmly and gently move her to the spot I want her to sit on the eggs. Put her on golf balls for a few days after that and then when you are sure she is still sitting tight you can add the eggs (also at night) Good luck, I hope she stays broody for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by