How to Move a Giant Chicken Coop!

HorsesRMe123

Songster
Aug 1, 2020
Washington, USA
We are planning on moving (hopefully) in the coming months and we have a GIANT chicken coop! I believe the dimensions are something like 7ft long by 4ft wide. It’s off the ground and has 4 legs that prop it up. I mean this thing is SOLID. I would say this thing weighs about 800 lbs. We have it in our backyard where there’s vinyl fencing all around and I highly doubt this thing would fit through our gate. And just four people carrying it would be near impossible. We somehow have to get this coop out of our backyard. My dad spent hours upon hours of hard work building and I would hate to have to tear it apart and throw it away. I think moving it in the end would definitely be worth it. One day of hard work moving it versus several days of having to build a whole new one. Maybe call shed movers? If there’s such a thing? Idk how they’d get it through our fence though. Maybe over it somehow? We could tear part of the fence down but I wouldn’t want to risk damaging it for the new homeowners. We could also take the legs of the coop off and roll it, but I’m just wondering how on earth do we get it through the fence?! Any ideas or do you think the best idea would be to burn it and start over? Please help!
1883BB0C-1634-4B4C-83B5-A650931971F2.jpeg
DBFB0114-35EF-4B88-8640-A9000A4780FD.jpeg

These are about the only pictures I have. Top pic is the right side of coop and bottom pic is the left side of the coop.

We are planning on moving (hopefully) in the coming months and we have a GIANT chicken coop! I believe the dimensions are something like 7ft long by 4ft wide. It’s off the ground and has 4 legs that prop it up. I mean this thing is SOLID. I would say this thing weighs about 800 lbs. We have it in our backyard where there’s vinyl fencing all around and I highly doubt this thing would fit through our gate. And just four people carrying it would be near impossible. We somehow have to get this coop out of our backyard. My dad spent hours upon hours of hard work building and I would hate to have to tear it apart and throw it away. I think moving it in the end would definitely be worth it. One day of hard work moving it versus several days of having to build a whole new one. Maybe call shed movers? If there’s such a thing? Idk how they’d get it through our fence though. Maybe over it somehow? We could tear part of the fence down but I wouldn’t want to risk damaging it for the new homeowners. We could also take the legs of the coop off and roll it, but I’m just wondering how on earth do we get it through the fence?! Any ideas or do you think the best idea would be to burn it and start over? Please help!View attachment 2499553View attachment 2499555

These are about the only pictures I have. Top pic is the right side of coop and bottom pic is the left side of the coop.
Is there's any way you can remove the walls and roof and leave the framing intact (that is, take the wall frames off the foundation and reassemble at the new site)

Shed movers sound like a good idea.

I think vinyl fencing is often constructed in sections, so you might be able to just take down a section or two and carry the coop out that opening.

Maybe you could talk to a company that builds & repairs fences.

If the coop is too wide to go through the gate, I can only think of four options:
a) take the coop apart so it can fit through the gate
b) take the fence apart to make a big opening
c) leave the coop inside the fence
d) hire a crane to lift the coop over the fence :D

Oh dear... that would be something.

I admit this is something I've thought about, that if we ever move, I may want to take the coop with us (unless the buyers want to include it in the sale) - and that means a shed mover taking it through the fence (chain link, so it could be done). But ours (6x10) was built to be "moveable" since it's on skids.

Shed movers sound like a good idea.

I think vinyl fencing is often constructed in sections, so you might be able to just take down a section or two and carry the coop out that opening.

Maybe you could talk to a company that builds & repairs fences.

If the coop is too wide to go through the gate, I can only think of four options:
a) take the coop apart so it can fit through the gate
b) take the fence apart to make a big opening
c) leave the coop inside the fence
Thanks for the ideas! I think if we do take it we’re going to have to take the fence down and hire someone to move it to the new place.

Oh dear... that would be something.

I admit this is something I've thought about, that if we ever move, I may want to take the coop with us (unless the buyers want to include it in the sale) - and that means a shed mover taking it through the fence (chain link, so it could be done). But ours (6x10) was built to be "moveable" since it's on skids.
Yeah we’re somehow going to have to make ours moveable like yours. Maybe by taking the legs off and putting pipes or something to roll it.

Back
Top Bottom