How to move my Dickey full of eggs...flood coming!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by perolane, May 8, 2011.

1. perolane

perolane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    Has anyone ever had to move their cabinet incubator with eggs to another location??

We very likely have flood waters moving our way sometime around the 25th. My last batch of eggs is due to hatch the 28th. I just might make it, but just in case....any ideas on how to safely move my Dickey with eggs to another location. I've made arrangements to stay in a travel trailer at my job.....it's an hour away! I'll be moving all of my flock too, but so worried about my hatching eggs.

DH says pitch the eggs...can't do it...and most of them are shipped eggs that cost a pretty penny.

Any advice would be appreciated!!!

2. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    You can take the eggs out keep em warm (cooler,insulated box ect ect) and move the bator fast and put eggs back in fast.

3. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    take the eggs out put them in egg cartons the foamy ones do insulate a bit. put them in a foam cooler and put blankets on that to conserve the heat. hand heat warmers work well too. If you ar not going to far away I think you will be just fine, keep in mind mama bird gets off the nest for a bit.

4. gfcm

gfcm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    Florissant
    Being an hour away, I would put some jars or something (heatsink) in there to help keep them relatively warm. You could always wrap the jars in hand towels or something to protect them during transportation, too. Good luck with both your eggs and the flooding!

5. flocksalot

flocksalot Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Poynette WI
    You could try those chemical hand warmers? I have used sand heated in a microwave. You put the sand in some old socks and heat it in the micro. Can't remeber for how long. Just check it every little bit. The sand heats up and then you wrap everything up in a thick blanket. This should help keep them at the temp they need. I've used this for several occasions when we were having a potluck and traveling more than a short distance. The sand filled socks can then be used to relieve stress by putting them on your shoulders or wherever you are tense.

My husband is the same way. He's always trying to get rid of our birds. I hope you all survive the flooding with as little damage as possible. We went through the flooding of 08 here in Wisconsin. We still have areas where the water never went away, so when I see others going through it I remember what a stressful time it was. [​IMG]

6. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    Quote:I would plan on flood waters getting too you sooner than the 25. Memphis, Tn is already flooded and so is AR. Rivers are running fast and high here. Get that incubator to higher ground now. Good luck and wish you well.

7. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Let them cool an go dormant an you have hours an hours to make the move. No reason to try to keep them warm if you can do the move in something like 6 hours or less.

8. MjChickens

MjChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    La Center, Wa
    Quote:[​IMG]

9. perolane

perolane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    Thanks all of you for the great ideas!! [​IMG] I'm such a nervous wreck..... I appreciate your help!

10. Brown Chicka Brown Cow

Brown Chicka Brown Cow Chillin' With My Peeps

have used sand heated in a microwave. You put the sand in some old socks and heat it in the micro. Can't remeber for how long. Just check it every little bit. The sand heats up and then you wrap everything up in a thick blanket. This should help keep them at the temp they need.

Rice works well in this manner too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by