1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how to move the chooks?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kagedgoddess, Jan 14, 2010.

1. kagedgoddess

kagedgoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    virginia
    ok So FINALLY we are closing on our house next week (YAY!!!!!!!) So, its been crazy cold and all the chicken poo is frozen in the coop, no elec there, and i have to clean the coop and transport the chickens. HELP!!!!

i plan on putting them in the rotti's dog crate and moving them to the new run, but i cant figure out how to get them IN the dog crate. the Roo is a RIR and Very mean. he is NOT going to be ok with me grabbing him. and the hens, well they like me when i have food, i MAY be able to bribe them in. i thought about just grabbing them all at night, But then i realized that ... lol, i cannot get them, the roost is higher than the door. so... oh and i could maybe send in a kid to grab the chickens off the roost, But i am afraid he will hurt one, he is only 5, dd is bigger and heavier than me, dh is too and i am 8 mos preggers, so Not really all that bendy, agile or fast. any suggestions? i also thought about putting the dog crate in front of the pop door so they rush in all on their own with out realizing it first thing in the morning. ha! not sure that would work.

anyone do this before, or have ideas to try? thanks!

2. gkeesling

gkeesling Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Hagerstown, IN
    I bought this metal pole with a hook on the end of it from one of the poultry supply places. It hooks the chicken's leg and then you can grab it. I use my pole to catch them and then put them in the cage.

3. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    remove the roost, they will settle in for the night on the floor. Easy pickins.

4. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    Yeah, I agree--catching them at night is the easiest solution. It's easy to catch sleeping birds! They still might make a ruckus and struggle, but less of a ruckus than if you try to catch them in the day.

5. kagedgoddess

kagedgoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    virginia
    Quote:ah... dint think of that, i like it, thanks!

6. farmin'chick

farmin'chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Rocky Mount VA
    If you have time, put the crate in the coop for a few days -- put their food and water in the coop and they'll go in. You go out and put their food in one morning, they all run in, and VOILA! a crate full of birds -- just close the door.

7. gkeesling

gkeesling Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Hagerstown, IN
    farmin'chick :

If you have time, put the crate in the coop for a few days -- put their food and water in the coop and they'll go in. You go out and put their food in one morning, they all run in, and VOILA! a crate full of birds -- just close the door.

I loaded steers in my stock trailer that way before. Loaded them right out in the middle of the field. I suppose it could work with chickens as well. both chickens and steers are pretty dumb animals. I parked the trailer in the middle of my field, put their feed in the trailer for a couple days, the third day I put the feed in, they walked on, I shut the door, and took them to the processor to make hamburger and steaks out of them.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by