How to move the flock into new coop?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ChestnutRidge, Jun 28, 2011.

1. ChestnutRidge

ChestnutRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Western Virginia
    I've got 11 9-week olds who need to move about fifty feet from their little coop to the new big coop. What is the best way to try this?

They probably wouldn't all come if I brought food or a treat or something. I'd get most, maybe, but the others would be distracted.

When I moved them from their inside brooder to the new coop, I did it in the evening, but they were awake and the sun was up. I chased them around the brooder and put them in a cardboard box, about three at a time. They were totally freaked out and trying to escape the box, but they did okay when they got to the new coop. Still, I am sure there must be a better way. I'd rather not repeat that.

Thanks!

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Go out at night when the chicks are zombi-fied. It will only take you 3-4 trips to move them all over to the new coop.

3. ChestnutRidge

Feb 26, 2011
    Western Virginia
    Do I try to put them up on the roost? I guess they will be coherent enough to catch on. And, not to be completely dense, but what do I do for light? (DH is telling me I can borrow his headlamp. [​IMG] I guess that will do.)

4. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    If they are not roosting yet, just put them all in a covered corner. They'll roost when they are ready.

5. ElioraImmanuel

ElioraImmanuel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    Wait til night and then switch them over....low stress for them, far easier on you![​IMG]

6. ChestnutRidge

Feb 26, 2011
    Western Virginia
    They are roosting right now, but they are in a small coop and their roost is only about 2 feet off of the ground. The roost in the new coop is about 4 feet off of the ground. If I just set them there, will they balance, or is it best to just set them on the floor?

7. ChestnutRidge

Feb 26, 2011
    Western Virginia
    Alright, job's done. I moved them one by one and placed them on the roost in the new coop, trying to preserve their order. Some were happier than others, but it was very calm and easy.
    Thank you for your help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by