How to NOT have your chicken ran over...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by KofLee, Sep 1, 2016.

1. KofLee

KofLee Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2016
    Austin TX
    Yeah I'm still a newbie....but please keep your chicks in check. I was on my way to work this morning (I live in Austin). Saw a dead/dying Bantam in the road. Past by, looked in the rearview...saw a truck pass saw a chicken try to get to the curb. Pulled a U-Turn put on my hazards & picked up the chicken. Was in the driveway w/4 other Bantams by the curb, driveway & busy street. Calling, holding a dying chicken....this guy squeezes through his gate w/two dogs barking their **** heads off. He didn't seem too upset about it. I am going to start carrying scratch & a big box. I see those Bantams again I'm gonna snatch/claim them. Just upset, had to share. Please keep your chicks in check. K :hit

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    That is too bad, I guess some people don't care, they might if they knew they could be held responsible for any damages if their chickens caused a wreck.

3. KofLee

KofLee Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2016
    Austin TX

Yeah, it sucked. Problem is, the hood I drive thru daily...they do not care. I've seen them chicks before. Just gonna take em next time. They didn't seem to care..& I am working on chicken vallah...;)

1 person likes this.
  4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    They may not care about the chickens running loose, but they may care about you taking what's theirs. That's theft no matter how you try to justify it.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by