How to not start a fire or freeze chicks....

PhiberOptikx

Chirping
Oct 3, 2014
Just wanting some opinions on what heat sources you people trust. My brooder box is going in a shed and it is still pretty cold outside. I have some 250 watt red bulbs from a local farm supply store left over from last year but 1/3 of those would randomly burn out. If that were to happen then my chicks would freeze in no time. So, is there a brand of bulb that people trust over the other? I have a few weeks before this batch is scheduled to arrive. Also, this shed has no windows. With a red light they will essentially be in eternal darkness. But with a white bulb the sun would never set. How do you deal with that?

With a red bulb they would also be in eternal light. Red light is perceived by chickens as light.

To answer both issues, use a not light source. For cold weather I use ceramic heat emitters. They come in 75-300 watts.
The do break but not with the frequency of glass lamps and don't make a mess if they do. Use 2 and if one goes out, you still have heat. I use 150W.
This also gives you the opportunity to give chicks 8 hours of darkness after the first few days.

What do you use for ventilation if there are no windows?

Hi, now their are so many wonderful ways to brood chicks!! Some brood outside with a sort of heating pad. some use the heating pad and make a "heating cave" for the chicks. Some use the newer type brooder heater that the chicks walk under and All will rave about how wonderful their particular methods are. And they ARE wonderful! But I guess I'm just "old fashioned" and need to get with the new methods!! I still use the red heat lamp. The bulb I use is little Giant.I have a brand new spare "incase" my bulb goes out because it's a older bulb I've used before. I have a special stand for the light that safely holds the light and I can move it up and down to temperature. I keep 1/2 or less than 1/2 of the brooder warm to temperature and keep the other side cool. this way the chicks can move back and forth as needed. I have had this set up so I didn't have to spend any money on it. I'm thinking whatever safely works for you is the way to go. it's a personal preference. if I had the money I'd love to try something new. but right now I don't so I guess I will go with what I have.

Some of the lower wattage options like the premier heat plate or the brinsea don't work in very cold temperatures. I think they're only good down to the mid 40s.
I can brood down to 10F with ceramic heat emitters in an Ohio hover brooder.

Back
Top Bottom