how to offer grit to chicks?

Kuntry Klucker

Crowing
12 Years
Jun 9, 2010
Tennesee Smoky Mts.
Hi All,
frow.gif

I am a first time chickie momma. I went to the feed store today and got my babies some grit, it is chick
grit.

I am wanting to give my chicks some treats but am unsure just what is the best way to give
them the treats and grit.

Do I place the grit in a bowl and say," get your grit here", or is it best to place it
on the same plate as the treat.

I was thinking about offering my babies lettuce and some chopped tomatoes. Is that a safe treat to offer them?

They are 2 1/2 weeks old, this would be their first taste of anything other than chick starter.

Here is a pic of my babies.
jumpy.gif

60013_dscf4368.jpg

Thanks

You can offer them a little bowl full and you can sprinkle some on their regular food like you would sprinkle salt. The grit stays in the crop for quite a while, so eating some with their regular feed will put it in the crop for when they have a treat. Lettuce is a good treat. I have never given mine tomatoes, but other people do, so it is probably okay. They like all kinds of fruit and shredded spinach and carrots were a favorite for mine.

If you don't have a sand box for them to dust bathe in, they will try to dust bathe in the chick grit in a bowl--just thought I'd warn you. Play sand works as fine grit, too.

we offered grit in our hands, and also placed some on their rock (a flatish rock that we put in the brooder for them to hop on) worked like a charm. we also give our tomatoes, don't just place then on a plate though the littles ones just don't seem to know quite what to do with that and just stomp all over it. cut the tomatoes into long thin strips that you can hold for them. we also give ours earthworms this will be a lot of fun for you and the chicks. just hold them low enough for them to grab them and get your video camera ready to film! it turns into a huge game of keep away, we have ours on youtube, look for four naked chicks playing football, i know DH has a strange sense of humor
smack.gif
, and i promise i'd never send you in search of something dirty! anyway have fun with the treats, stay away from potato peelings!
yippiechickie.gif

The chick grit that I got was not red, it is I guess gravel color but small.

So to sprinkle it on the treat will be okay?

Another question, does chick feed have grit in it? If so should I offer more grit or would
the grit in their chick starter be enough?

Thanks BYCers!!
D.gif

Chick starter does not contain grit nor does it need to. If that is all they are eating they don't require grit. For snacks I just put a small amount each day into a small flower pot saucer and mine eat a little at a time.

How old should the chicks be for treats like lettuce & such? And the dust bath? Can I use dirt instead? or something like peat moss? I can see my chickies trying to roll in the shavings... Sorry for crashing your post:)

No problem coveyofbells, I was wondering that too.

I have pine shavings in my brooder but they
do try to roll in them. Some of the chicks even look like they are trying to bury themselves
in it.

Back
Top Bottom