How to out some weight on emaciated chicken?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by FRlEDeggs, Jan 3, 2011.

1. FRlEDeggs

FRlEDeggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Hi [​IMG]

Some of you may have looked at an earlier post I made about my lame Cuckoo Marans pullet Pepper. She seems emaciated, and I was wondering what I could do to help her gain some weight. She gets vitamins, bread, scratch, mealworms, and more all the time, but she still can't seem to gain weight! We have treated her for worms. Any ideas? She is weak right now because of a bed sore from sitting in her chicken chair.

2. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    What did you worm her with?

Chris

3. FRlEDeggs

Jun 6, 2010
    Quote:Wazine 17 and Imervectin
    (did I spell that right? [​IMG])

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Ok, The ivermectin should have worked for getting rid of the worm.
    Do you know what the protein percentage of your feed is. If it is less than 18% I would bump it to 18% or even 20% protein. I would also mix up a batch of corn bread for he and feed about 1 cup at night along with about 3 Tbl spoons cooked white rice. You can soak the corn bread in a little whole milk (just enough milk to make the corn bread damp)

Idont know how you used the ivomec so I though I would post thi for you.

Ivomec Injectable (ivermectin)
    Dosage
    You will need a syringe to get ivomec out of the bottle, and you can use it to apply the dosage listed below by holding the birds mouth open, and dripping it into the back of its throat. Another method is to apply the correct dosage to a piece of bread, then feed it to the bird you are treating.
    * 5 to 7 drops orally for adult size birds.
    * 3 to 5 drops orally for bantam size birds.
    It is recommended to worm your fowl on a regular basis, and this method will need to be repeated every 2 to 3 months to keep worms under control. In severe cases, you may want to retreat the bird 10 days after the initial treatment, to make sure you take care of the problem.
    Ivomec can be purchased at most farm supply stores in the cattle section.

Warning
    Take care not to eat the eggs after treating with Ivomec until the treated fowl has laid at least five to seven eggs.

I hope some of this helps..

Chris

5. FRlEDeggs

Jun 6, 2010
    Wow, thank you so much for all that [​IMG] It really helps!
    I'll giver her some corn bread this weekend. Thank you for the imervectin dosage chart! [​IMG]

6. FRlEDeggs

Jun 6, 2010
    Just checked, and our layer is only 17% protein [​IMG]
    I'll do my best to see if the feed store has any higher % laying feed! Thank you for telling me!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by