How to physically take baby chicks outside for field trips?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jesubis, Mar 30, 2015.

1. jesubis

jesubis Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2015
    Ok, this may be a really dumb question, but I'm new at this! What's the best way to transport baby chicks outside into a temporary pen for a few minutes of play time and then take them back in? Thanks to a few instances of pasty butt, they're not thrilled at being picked up, and I'm afraid of one escaping from the pen and running away. Any advice?

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    How many? How old? If they're still small, and there's only a few, you could even put them in a paper bag, and fold the top over. Or you could put them in a box. Don't worry about them not wanting to get picked up. Just go about your business, do what you have to do. They may scream, but they'll thank you later.

3. jesubis

Mar 30, 2015
    There's five (we lost one, had six) and they're almost 3 weeks old. Starting to feather out really nicely and getting bored in their box!

4. MamaRudey

MamaRudey Chillin' With My Peeps

A 5 gallon bucket? LOL

5. jesubis

Mar 30, 2015
    Okay, so it's much simpler than I was making it out to be! LOL. We have another cardboard box that I've been putting them in when I change the shavings in their main container. We're thinking of cutting a drawbridge-style door in the cardboard box, taking the chicks in this box out to a pen made of chicken wire and plastic stakes, and opening the door so that they have a safe place to hide in at first. Then we can just put them back in the box and ferry them back inside.

6. jesubis

Mar 30, 2015
    Although I think the bucket wins for sheer simplicity :) Thank you!

7. GreenLove

GreenLove Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2015
    I have 25, 4 week old babies and I just put them in one of those clear sterilite/rubbermade containers with an old towel on the bottom (so they don't slide around), and make a few trips back and forth to the outside pen. They do a little protesting lol but they are very thankful for the grass and sunshine. Just make sure that if it's windy, you have a wind break of some kind around the pen so they don't get chilled at this age. We have eagles and hawks here so we also have to put something over the top or they swoop down and make a quick snack of my babies [​IMG]. Good luck!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  8. PapaChaz

PapaChaz Overrun With Chickens

May 25, 2010
    NW Georgia
    first off, there are NO dumb questions. You felt the need to ask because of being unsure, that in and of itself makes it worth asking. [​IMG]

great tips in the thread already. I think the big thing you were worried about is them running around like crazy and squealing like you're killing them when you catch them, right? they're only doing what comes naturally! just do whatcha gotta do.

I found that my chicks were way less tentative around me once I took them out of the brooder (which opens from the top, therefore I was the predator from above) and put them into the coop. I can sit on the hay bale, or what's left of it, and they'll literally come over, pick at the mud or dirt on my boots and climb my legs. Before that, they'd run and flap and do their absolute best to get away from me!

9. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    When I raise baby chicks indoors, I always try to time it for nice spring weather so I can begin taking them outdoors to their chick pen in the main run to begin integration with the adult flock about the time they reach two weeks of age.

I have a small pet "taxi" that I originally got to transport my cat to the vet. I set the carrier beside the brooder, and load the chicks one by one.

When I get them to their pen in the run, I set it down, open the door, and leave them alone to venture out when they are ready. The first time it takes them a while to screw up their courage, and it's usually the boldest one that steps out, then the rest follow. I leave the carrier right there so they have it for both security and to return to if they begin to feel chilled. When all the chicks return to the carrier, it's my signal they are ready to go back inside to their brooder. No need to fear not being able to round them up because they will put themselves back into the carrier.

After the first week, they will zoom out of the carrier the second you open the door, racing around and even flying if there's enough room to get airborn. Their heat needs will be less and they will be able to stay outside longer before getting chilled. If they aren't quite ready to go back into the carrier when you want them to, all you need to do is toss a few meal worms into the crate, and in they will all zip, no problem!

1 person likes this.
  10. CrazyTalk

CrazyTalk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2014
    remember that if they eat things outside (grass, bugs, etc) they need grit.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by