how to pick up chickens and check for lice

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by hencam, Aug 16, 2010.

1. hencam

hencam Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2007
    Massachusetts
    I thought some of you might like to see the video I just posted on youtube. I show how to pick up a hen and where to check for lice.

Basic stuff - but sometimes it helps to see someone else do it!
    Terry at hencam.com

2. AngieB

AngieB Out Of The Brooder

Nov 29, 2009
    Livonia
    Thank you!!! That is so helpful, and exactly what I've been trying to figure out!!!

Angie

3. JLS

JLS Love my feathered babies!

May 29, 2009
    Maine
    My Coop
    Nicely done [​IMG] Thank you!

4. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    Thank you, that was great. I am going to have my daughter watch it in the morning.

5. chickenriot

chickenriot Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Brownsboro, Tx.
    That was a very nicely done video ![​IMG] Keep 'em coming ![​IMG]

6. BC Gal

BC Gal Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2010
    Excellent video [​IMG] Very helpful. Thank you.

7. WoofMeowCluck

WoofMeowCluck Dark Speckled Egg Lover

Mar 9, 2010
    Wonderful informative video! Thank you so much!

Also loved the video of your dogs putting their toys away. I heard the Clicker and noticed it in your hand. I love using that method for training dogs too. I have heard it can be used for chickens as well, have you tried it? Results? Suggestions?

Again, thank you for sharing!

8. swordgeek

swordgeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Westford, MA
    Thanks, Terry! I've never known quite how to deal with the dreaded lice-check - I've been holding them and gently picking up wings and such, and poking around in other parts of their body. This was very helpful.

BTW, after seeing you at last year's farmer's market talk, my kids and I were hooked on your hencam. I still occasionally stick it under my spouse's nose to show him my coop envy, and he built my new perches on your design. Something so simple, yet I'd never thought of doing that.

9. hencam

hencam Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2007
    Massachusetts
    I'm glad you all are finding this helpful.
    re lice: I've got some great pics on my blog. If the base of the feathers look like Q-tips, you've got a problem. Go to
    http://www.hencam.com/henblog/
    and search the archives.
    re clicker training hens - I'm not allowed to talk about it yet, but I'll be on an Animal Planet show this fall, and I'll demonstrate how to clicker train chickens! Keep an eye on my blog, or become a FB friend, and I'll let you know when I know the air date.

10. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Nicely done video! You have a very nice camera presence...clear and calm. I had to laugh because my BA girl acts very similarly to Twinkydink...friendly and a good girl, but does NOT care for being picked up/examined.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by